Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know these IR lasers?

I have come across some IR LD's, the seller has given me the following info, google has not been my friend, search came up empty, does anyone recognise any of the info?

They are all MOTOROLA On the 2 pin diode: SFOD1029F, on the box it says M FOD-104F.

The 3 lead diode: SFOE1018F, On the Box: MOTOROLA FIBER OPTIC EMITTER SFOE1018F (These have a little rectagular plate with 2 holes and can be mounted on a heatsink. The threshold is ~ 1.1+V. I does get a little hot at 750 mA, wavelengthis ~980nm.

I have attached a pretty poor photo that may help.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• motorola_IR.jpg
    motorola_IR.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 147

kendon

they look to me like lasers from a gbic, kinda like an adapter for fiber optic cables. you put that into your switch, and then you have a gigabit ethernet interface. they are exchangeable to switch between single mode and multimode and so on.

//edit: looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbic

and i happended to have one ripped apart:

Attachments

• gbic.JPG
    gbic.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 221
@ Kendon
Interesting, the fact that they were motorola made me think they may be data LD's....
I tried to get from the seller whether they were high power (he ran one up to 750ma, which may of course have killed it) he did not indicate if it was increasing in output as he was increasing the power.

I take it that those ones you show are likely to be in the 5mw range?

Regards rog8811

kendon

i'm not sure how much power is used in fiber optic cables. at work we have a power meter, where you plug the cable in and it shows you how much mw are leaving the cable, i think we start to get worried about a broken fiber when it's below 80mw, but i'd have to doublecheck that, seems pretty high to me the moment i say it... :)

//edit: i guess that was BS, never in the world is that 80mw, more like 80dbM or something, lol. the biggest lpm for fiberoptic i could find had a scale from PICOwatt to 250MILLIwatt, and that thing has the size of a shoebox (not handheld of course). so it will be just a few mw i guess, also there is no law for protecting your eyes in germany when working with fiber optics, so actually it can't be dangerous. although you are instructed not to look directly into the end of the cable. you have to use your cellphones camera anyway to find the fiber with the light, since it's ir. finally a reason to have a camera in every f***ing phone ;)

At the moment it is still a lottery then, it is a batch of 35 LD's If I buy them and they are <5mw I have wasted the momey (won't do what I want) or, if much more powerful, I could sell some here and recoup some money......

I hope someone will read this and be able to say, diffinitively, what they are.

Regards rog8811

[edit]I have been googling 980nm, they always come up in conjunction with "pump diode" which could suggest a higher power [/edit]

JLSE

I purchased a 35 lot off ebay of those. I have 5 the same and then 30 the same but slightly different. I tried to power one up and used a web cam, but got nothing.

IIRC, the auction said something about 700mA before they fry, and also couldnt find a thing on google. They have a tiny hole on the face, and are sealed in the rear with epoxy.

Did you buy these, or are you just inquiring? If you dont have them in your hands, I can pull mine out and post some pcs if youd like :)

I haven't purchased them as I wanted to be sure they were any good, I would like to take you up on your offer. PM sent.

Regards rog8811

Just off the top of my head they look like communications equipment diodes that pump Yb fiber laser amplifiers.  The wavelength is too low (980nm as stated) to be used in fiber communications as they use much longer wavelengths but I think that is the pump wavelength for Yb lasers. These systems could have been used in digital loop carriers (DLC or SLC) to carry digital voice traffic from end users to the telephone central office. These systems aggregate and multiplex hundreds of analog telephone lines onto T-carrier on OC backbones. So they could be initial amplifiers or repeaters.

Thanks frothy, If they are used for pumping does that infer they are quite high power?

I suppose what I am asking is could these be any good as burning lasers?

Regards rog8811

That I don't know. If they are what I think, they are pumping fiber optic cable in a method not familiar with hobby laser builds. These systems do not have to have super high output to traverse long lengths of fiber optic cable. It's just hard to say. Too bad you cant just buy one and test it.