Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know the Ohm rating of the pot on a Flex drive V5?

Kaokin

So i broke the pot on my flexdrive the other day. I want to go to radio shack and replace it with a larger more robust one but i cant seem to get a good reading on the resistance of the tiny pot that came on the flexdrive originally. Has anyone every replaced a pot on a flexdrive before? What ohm rating should i use?

jaycey

PM Dr_Lava here or over Photonlexicon.

Im sure he would know:yh:

If you have another flexdrive you could try measuring the resistance across two of the three terminals (the 2 ends of the track, not the wiper contact) if you haven't tried already. I don't have fine enough probes to do so though.

Dr_Lava may take some time to respond.
Please do post when you find out.

Kaokin

Ok will do, I know that some people have had a similar issue from reading previous posts; The trim pot is so small and sensitive that it is easy to overturn it and too many turns will render it unusable. I have talked to Dr Lava and he has offered to send me a new pot, but i am going to verify the resistance with him for future reference too. Ill let you know what i find out :)

I just measured a flex drive -- in circuit across the pot. It reads 0.830 KOhms both ways. I'd assume that is a 1 KOhm pot. Remember that I'm reading this in circuit but both polarity directions.

HMike

Benm

There should be markings on the original pot as well - or at least something left that allows you to measure resistance. In-circuit measurement can be very tricky, or you can get lucky and read the exact value as long as the unit is not powered.