Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone have one of these? (Sanwu Red Guardian)

Daddy

Hello humans / giant telepathic spiders.

I'm new here; I'm looking to pick up my first real laser after I save up for it.

I have my eye on this exquisite Sanwu laser, specifically the 3W version, and I'm wondering if anyone has one because I want to ask a few questions about it.

I really like its small pocket size, but I'm concerned it won't fit comfortably in my average-to-above-average sized male hands.

Noob question, but I can't seem to find information on this: does the beam expander fit on top of the lens or replace it? I want to go for the G7 lens since all of you guys recommend it so highly, though I'm hoping the lens is also suitable for burning.

The description says:
Red copper is a softer copper without mixing any other metals and it can be damaged easily with fall impacts. The surface requires constant care and maintenance to prevent oxidation.
So that just means I have to remove oxidation from it and take care not to drop it right?

How do you guys feel about this particular Eagle Pair for protection from the blue laser?

Lastly, what the heck is an attack head? Is it just an aesthetic thing? What does it do to the beam?

I love you.

Last edited:

BobMc

Hello humans / giant telepathic spiders.

I'm new here; I'm looking to pick up my first real laser after I save up for it.

I have my eye on this exquisite Sanwu laser, specifically the 3W version, and I'm wondering if anyone has one because I want to ask a few questions about it.

I really like its small pocket size, but I'm concerned it won't fit comfortably in my average-to-above-average sized male hands.

Noob question, but I can't seem to find information on this: does the beam expander fit on top of the lens or replace it? I want to go for the G7 lens since all of you guys recommend it so highly, though I'm hoping the lens is also suitable for burning.

The description says:

So that just means I have to remove oxidation from it and take care not to drop it right?

How do you guys feel about this particular Eagle Pair for protection from the blue laser?

Lastly, what the heck is an attack head? Is it just an aesthetic thing? What does it do to the beam?

I love you.

As far as I know no one has done a review on the 3 watt red Guardian yet. The red copper is softer and does that some extra work to keep the tarnish down but it's not bad ( have one red Guardian). Yes the BE screws right onto them, makes the beam wider at the front so you can get a tighter dot down field ( burn things farther away) nice addition.

The Eagle pair are the way to go for eye safety, with that 3 watt your going to need them. Congrats for thinking about them.:) The attack head is for show, (I guess you could use it if you had to) :thinking:

I did a small review on some Guardain's with some BE's on them if you wanted to see what they look like on the Guardians, see ~~
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/guardian-goodness-99192.html

Also welcome to the forum and be safe. :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

I love you.

The "attack" head is generally just used as an aesthetic or decorative addition to the front of lasers or flashlights, but those pointy crenulations on them can be used as a weapon, many styles of these have rather sharp edges on them. :eek:

Edit: It looks as if the copper on this unit does not have any kind of protective finish on it, so yes, it will require constant maintenance to keep it polished up!
As Bob mentioned, Eagle Pair would be the way to go for good protection and reasonable cost.

I just looked at Red Guardian, and with it being made of solid copper, you will need to be very careful when using a B.E. with it, as the threads can be easily damaged with repeated use.

Last edited:

Daddy

Thank you everyone for your help and advice :)

I did a small review on some Guardain's with some BE's on them if you wanted to see what they look like on the Guardians, see ~~
Guardian Goodness
I've gotta pick up one of those holsters.

I just looked at Red Guardian, and with it being made of solid copper, you will need to be very careful when using a B.E. with it, as the threads can be easily damaged with repeated use.
On second thought, I might not buy the beam expander in order to make the laser more portable. The silver colour won't match the copper either. :undecided:

coat it with Everbrite.
Alright, that sounds sensible. I have no experience whatsoever with coating metals; I hope the process is straightforward.

BobMc

you will need to be very careful when using a B.E. with it, as the threads can be easily damaged with repeated use.

Never thought of that BowtieGuy, think that's really good advice. :)

I've gotta pick up one of those holsters .

It's an Ultra Fire holster, bought them of EBay, if that helps, can't find the listing where I bought them. On my iPhone can't pull up purchases that long ago, will have to wait till I fire up my computer, will post an edit when I do . :)

Last edited:

Daddy

Update

I bought the laser last week; looks like it's going to arrive soon! :D

I ended up going for the 1W 405nm option instead of the 3W one. Violet is my favourite laser colour! I was wondering, exactly what diode model is the 1W 405nm? Other Sanwu lasers advertise a 900mW 405nm diode so maybe they are the same one? After I placed the order, I noticed that Podo removed the 3W option. Perhaps the Guardian is too small to adequately dissipate the heat produced by such a powerful diode.

It's an Ultra Fire holster, bought them of EBay
Ordered!

coat it with Everbrite.
I picked up some ProtectaClear by Everbrite and I'm going to coat the housing with it using a paintbrush after I wipe it with Xylene. (Yes, I did my research, Mr. Planck662607004x1042m2kgs ;)) Any ProtectaClear application tips would be appreciated.

I'm significantly excited about this. Expect a review, although I will have to use my tablet's camera to take pictures, so they might not look nice.

Thank you!

Also, what's going on with all the broken links at the top of the website? Is it just me or did they remove some today?

BobMc

Enjoy your 405 Guardian. I've got one and she's a little burner for sure. Glad you found the holster for it. Looking forward to your review. :)

Also the 3 watt Red Guardian was a misprint. Tried to order one, Sanwu sent a "Dear John" letter broke my heart :( see~~~~~
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/well-s-bummer-100496.html

Last edited: