Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone ever used 577nm?

Considering that CNI is now producing 577nm lasers, I can't help but wonder about this WL, even though I recognize that it's fairly unlikely that we'll ever get them.

How does it look? Is this more of a true yellow as compared to 588.6? Or is this a greenish, chartreuse type of yellow? I'd love to have a TRUE yellow laser, and this seems as though it might be an option. I just don't want a laser that's super green yellow like a 561 lol

Thoughts?

Sta

I haven't used a 577 before, but I can say that 583.8 is very, very close to a true yellow. True yellow is probably somewhere around 581-582nm based on the multiline output of my Spartan (the lowest yellow is ever so slightly on the green side, and 583.8 is just ever so slightly gold.)

Reactions: GSS

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
True yellow is around 580 +/- 2 nm depending on personal colour perception. As Sta's is 3.8nm away and still looks very yellow with a gold tinge, then so will 3nm the other way with the slightest lime tinge to it. It will be far more yellow than a 561nm. Go for it, it won't cost too much. :eg: :D

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Considering that CNI is now producing 577nm lasers, I can't help but wonder about this WL, even though I recognize that it's fairly unlikely that we'll ever get them.

How does it look? Is this more of a true yellow as compared to 588.6? Or is this a greenish, chartreuse type of yellow? I'd love to have a TRUE yellow laser, and this seems as though it might be an option. I just don't want a laser that's super green yellow like a 561 lol

Thoughts?
It would appear to be a true yellow. The wavelength of 561nm light would appear this color.
diamond-grade-fyg-school-sign-dusk.jpg
I'm revising what I wrote. After some little searching yellow would fall somewhere between 570nm-577nm.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Remember, we can describe the colour as much as we like, but all of our eyes perceive the colour differently. The only real way, is to see for yourself in person. :eg:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, that is another factor to consider. Someone might display R 255 G 255 B 0 on one screen, but to another it may look like R 250 G 255 B 0 etc. Also what with difference in perception may end to a difference of 2-3 nm.

Last edited:
It's literally the color of an slightly unripe lemon. If You see it in a really high power, it's a really nice yellow color. I'd say about 585 is a nice yellow for me. 588.6 is a kind of a goldenrod color, and 594 is starting to turn orange/amber, but still pretty yellow. In contrast, 568 and 561 are more chartreuse- about the color of a yellow green Crayon

Encap

Remember, we can describe the colour as much as we like, but all of our eyes perceive the colour differently. The only real way, is to see for yourself in person. :eg:

Exactly, no two sets of eyes are exactly the same, nor is what different brains do with the signal from the eyes exactly the same---close enough for generalized communication and consensus for that purpose but not exactly the same.

Color is not a physical property; it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light. Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

A fundamental problem in cognitive science is how humans categorize the visible color spectrum. As different societies developed names for colors, across the globe, isolated cultures went about naming the colors, but researchers have found they all generally did it in the same order. Called the hierarchy of color names, the order was generally (with a few exceptions): black, white, red, green, yellow, and blue with others like brown, purple and pink coming at various times afterward.

"Recent research in this area has demonstrated that this hierarchy matches humans reaction to different frequencies in the visible spectrum; that is, the stronger our reaction to that color’s frequency, the earlier it was named in the culture" See: On the origin of the hierarchy of color names

Last edited: