Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone care to guess what this lens setup was used for?

What? All of those bars are adjusted to produce a single line spot? That would explain how that steel bar is glowing. I didn't see any lenses in that first link you posted which would do that. Maybe they are there and I just couldn't see them.

Edit: I think the lenses must be built inside the box, still can't expand that single spot into a wide beam to reduce the divergence, they are all just focused down to one spot, try to expand that and you will have beams shooting out in a bunch of different directions.

Last edited:

Oh, you wanted it to be easy? LOL
How many emitters are in that stack I wonder?
If 10 then they are 40 watts each, I would like to have a single emitter of 40W work with.
Unless they are stacks of rows.
Really a fiber laser is going to be the way of the future for high output single beam quality, actually they look dam impressive, but I am on a budget. :(

But in time everything gets cheaper with higher production, I would even take a used unit, but while we are dreaming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-High-Qu...6018859&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=270918323182

Last edited:
I am sure they are stacks of multiple emitter bars, Coherent makes 808nm 40W bars which each have 19 emitters. I have some of those bars, but the ones I bought are 20 watts per bar. I could stack them and build a lower power ghetto version of that thing, but then I'd be faced with the optics needed to focus them all down to a single line output. I'm not much into burning, but I know you are, this thing must be a dream machine for you then, but too big and power hungry to put into a pointer :p

Yes we both have some of those old FAP's with the 19 emitters and little fibers all bundled into a round cluster, who was it that was working on one for a while....I forget his name, haven't seem him in a while actually.

But by now the single emitters must be bigger than the old 8W ones, heck even this C mount is 8 watts and it is a single emitter is it not? Yes 200um emitter.

808nm 8W High Power C Mount Laser Diode | eBay

The polished cavity c02 gain medium industrial cutters are being replaced with fiber, but some solid state directs in the 20 to 50 watt range must have been used in between, I am looking for inexpensive parts to repurpose as wood burning art tools, and stacking is always a compromise even for industry.

-----------------------edit-------------------------

Their 10KW unit has me drooling, but those prices dry my mouth up pretty quickly.

http://www.fiberlasersource.com/CWH_Laser.html

As for being to big for portable ( says the guy with the 500 dollar waste basket size expander ) :p

The portable power storage, i.e. battery technology is way behind.
I am looking to ultra caps charged by many batteries for short pulse work, but I wonder how much could a backpack size zinc air battery put out?
On the plus they are not heavy.

Then again for my wood art my builds do not need to be portable, it's just really cool to be able to scale things down, says the guy with the bowling pin size balloon poppers. :D

Last edited:
Ha, I've never considered a laser which wasn't portable, even if I need a wheel barrel to carry it. My expanders aren't waste basket sized, largest one I have uses a six inch diameter lens and the one shown at the start of this thread won't be used as an expander, the more I looked into it, the more obvious it became the output of the thing (input if a BE) was made for a NV light amplifier tube, so that's what I'm going to use it for. All of the scopes that large being made today use parabolic mirrors with a hole in the middle. I like this old one more, more expensive to manufacture and heavier but nice.

Regarding emitter sizes for 808nm, I have a 15W C-Mount single emitter multimode diode, but has a large emitter, 400X100um which when multimode means poor divergence. However the individual emitters in my Coherent 40W FAP800 fiber coupled laser diode array are 100um for the broad side, I recently found that, but I don't know the other dimension for each of them. You can see each fiber output splitting out in this photo of a beam shot into the night sky from a FAP800: http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/c...ckage-beam-shot-movie-added-thread-95501.html

Good idea on the caps, I bought some supercaps myself to use with my FAP800 :) but I intended to keep it charged using a long 2 gauge pair of copper wires.

Regarding Hemlock Mike, I have PM'd him several times, nothing back, I'm worried about what happened to him

Last edited:
I just looked at his profile, he logged in last month, but no posts or response to PM.