Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any snowboarders at LPF?

I'm going to Vail Colorado for the first time next month. I have only been snowboarding twice in Nagano Japan ( about 6 days total)

I have a few questions about renting equipment and what kind of bored to buy and what kind of areas I should try.

What kind of bored should I get? I weight about 140 and am about 5 ft 10 inches. I want something that will let me go down the mountain with my friends who will ski but also Id like to try some small \ intermediate jumps and maybe some intermediate park features.

Around Vail do they rent new , quality equipment? Id like something that has easy access that I can step into and not have to bother with straps very much.

Any info is appreciated.

Rob

Well the board should come up to right about your chin or just a bit above it, or so I've been told.

All ski resorts should have rentals avaible. It's all usually the same brand of stuff, but how new it is depends on the resort.

If you need help choosing your gear the people at the rental shop will be able to get you the right stuff.

Have fun snowboarding! I going next Wednesday and can't wait. :D

Edit: As for buying a board, Burton is a great brand but definitely pricey. Also note the smaller the board is relative to your body, the harder it is to control.

Last edited:
Board height should be between your chin and nose, and wide enough to keep your toes from dragging. Buy what brand suits your budget. Just dont skimp on boots. Cheap boots make my feet hurt, and take some fun away.

I should be able to get out towards the end of this month I hope. Shred some gnar gnar. lol

Last edited:
cool Thanks. What about renting vs buying a used snowboard? I can't afford a new one right now. Also, do you know a good place to rent around Vail? I heard that if I call ahead and prepay at a shop away from the resorts I can get a better snowboard at a cheaper price?

Rob

cool Thanks. What about renting vs buying a used snowboard? I can't afford a new one right now. Also, do you know a good place to rent around Vail? I heard that if I call ahead and prepay at a shop away from the resorts I can get a better snowboard at a cheaper price?

Buying used is a good option too. My best friend got a very good snowboard used for a killer price with bindings. He's used it for 4 years now and loves it. If you can find a good deal for a used one, do that. It's much better than having to go through the hassle of renting. I just got my first board this year after 2 years of renting and I can't tell you how much better that is. :D

As to your rental question I can't comment. Like I said rental policies vary from resort to resort.

Dont get a Burton Custom board. I just bought one and I has so many scratches and chips on it, it looks like its 3 seasons old. And I've only gone 5-6 times this year... I recommend a Forum board.

I called a store in Dillon Colorado since we are staying there and they have burtons and a few other higher end boards that rent for $35 a day. I also want to get some protection. Helmet, Wrist guards , knee pads and pelvis\side protector. I have never been off any medium\high jumps and also never been in a half pipe so I don't want to break anything. Does wearing this gear limit your mobility or is it uncomfortable? Is some of it not required?

I'm a snowboarder.

You're going to want a 161cm size board. Brands don't really matter if you are a beginner, but if you want the best, go with Burton, Never Summer, or K2. Bindings are basically to your own preference, but make sure to get strap-ons, not click-ins.
For boots, go with Salomon or something.

Well the board should come up to right about your chin or just a bit above it, or so I've been told.

All ski resorts should have rentals avaible. It's all usually the same brand of stuff, but how new it is depends on the resort.

If you need help choosing your gear the people at the rental shop will be able to get you the right stuff.

Have fun snowboarding! I going next Wednesday and can't wait. :D

Edit: As for buying a board, Burton is a great brand but definitely pricey. Also note the smaller the board is relative to your body, the harder it is to control.
I don't recomend renting because you will end up paying $200 to rent your gear anyway...
And it will be used and crappy, so buy your own.

And that's not true. The bigger the board is, the harder to control.
Smaller boards are usually easier to control, but don't go too small.

I called a store in Dillon Colorado since we are staying there and they have burtons and a few other higher end boards that rent for $35 a day. I also want to get some protection. Helmet, Wrist guards , knee pads and pelvis\side protector. I have never been off any medium\high jumps and also never been in a half pipe so I don't want to break anything. Does wearing this gear limit your mobility or is it uncomfortable? Is some of it not required?
If you have only been snowboarding twice, PLEASE do not go off of jumps.
For the love of God, don't do it...
You WILL break something, 100%. If you land a jump one bit wrong, it will hurt alot, or you will break something (the more likely situation).

I went off some small ones in Japan ( maybe 4 ft off the ground) I tend to lean back right before I go off the jump because I get nervous I guess. I'm going to start small and work my way up in Colorado.

Nice to see there is quite a few snowboarders on the forum. :yh:

Used to skate and snowboard, but with what skateboarding has become lately I am almost ashamed of that fact.

Still love snowboarding though. On that note, what boards do you guys ride? I am still on a 5 y/o sandwich style Forum, Devun Walsh , can't get myself to replace it, been on to many slopes with me. :D

I just got back from Mammoth, CA snowboarding. was great conditions, went on all the double blacks.

I have an Option 163 board. I definitely recommend buying your own as renting twice will pay for the cost of buying your own gear.

Make sure you research what the cost of bringing a snowboard on the plane is, on some airlines its $100 which really sucks (I smooth talked my way out of that one on my last trip, by paying online $20 beforehand).

I got all my gear from Snowboard, Snowboards, Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free Shipping - US Orders Over $100

they have regular clearance sales and you get can gear pretty cheap

-Ken

PS. be weary of the single blacks on the back side of Vail. They are quite scary and should really be labeled as triple blacks. was brutal going down some of those, literally straight down, sometimes steeper than vertical which is ridiculous.

otherwise vail is badass. there's some really sweet blues on the vail backside, can go super fast.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Breckenridge? I heard they have 5 different terrain parks, the last one being "The Highway" which looks sick.