Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any one here ever used a VSCEL laser diode?

I have been trying to find out if vscel laser diodes are good . they look to be a cheap alternative to side emitting diodes.

Sowee7

I have been trying to find out if vscel laser diodes are good . they look to be a cheap alternative to side emitting diodes.
they have very good beam specs (compared to side emitting diodes)

Sowee7

anybody know the best place to buy Vscel laser diodes?
there used to be a place in my country that sold all kinds of laser diodes, including vcsels, but they dont sell them any more

A quick internet search and viola.......I don't see anything in the visible spectrum.....There were some IMAX vcsels floating around but I don't see them anywhere now.

Not very exciting huh

Last edited:
thanks red , for checking. I talked to a guy at RPM about prices.

Row LabelsPrice USD (1 - 10units)Price USD (10 - 100units)
VD-0850P-002W-1C-2A0
$-​
$14.88​
VD-0850P-004W-1C-2A0
$-​
$25.95​
VD-0940I-004W-1C-2A0
$-​
$25.80​
VD-0940P-002W-1C-2A0
$-​
$15.27​

At these prices, it just makes sense to check them out.

Ir yes! but all have circular beam profiles. If one is very careful and wear good eye protection, they would have a decent etching device. For the price , these diodes would be great to try out. Also, i have read that there are visible ones being tested. So, why not try one of these for specs, and wait for the visible ones to appear on the market. They are cheaper do to lower fabrication costs. They also last as much as 50,000 hours.

bulukaki

Ir yes! but all have circular beam profiles. If one is very careful and wear good eye protection, they would have a decent etching device. For the price , these diodes would be great to try out. Also, i have read that there are visible ones being tested. So, why not try one of these for specs, and wait for the visible ones to appear on the market. They are cheaper do to lower fabrication costs. They also last as much as 50,000 hours.

Very interesting if they'll develop visible ones.

I wonder how it affects laser build design for us hobbyists...

Sowee7

Very interesting if they'll develop visible ones.

I wonder how it affects laser build design for us hobbyists...
ive seen reds for sale (650-680nm), and ive heard they will start selling blue and green vcsels

Sowee7, I have also seen visible red spectrum vscel diodes. but they are low power for the price, unless one buys an array. These are very similar to LED's in the way that they are constructed, only that these produce coherent light. One could create a DPSS laser with the IR ones. Very cost effective.