Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anti-Matter & Friction

ok, as i said on the anti black hole thread, me and a friend were discussing the existence of anti matter

we reached the conclusion that we needed friction in order to allow life (or even matter) to exist. if we had to invert electrons and protons so as to create such anti matter, everything would collapse. also, there would be no friction with inverted protons and electrons even though their polarities are switched, so there could be no matter and therefore no anti-matter.

Anti-Matter, anyone? :)

I thought I'd share this with you:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlpfOvLtI4&feature=related#[/media]

I can't tell if you're trying to dispute the existence of anti-matter, but if you are, stop now. We've created anti-matter in laboratories. If you're suggesting that "anti-life" could not exist (life composed of antimatter), then... well I don't know, but it's an interesting question.

I was wrong at the start, anti-matter does exist. But i was trying to discuss if the inversion of electrons with protons was possible.

rkcstr

nikokapo said:
I was wrong at the start, anti-matter does exist. But i was trying to discuss if the inversion of electrons with protons was possible.

If you inverted the charge on both the proton and electron, they would still be oppositely charged and presumably would be stable as long as they didn't meet their non-inverted friends, LOL.

I was watching an episode of "The Universe" on The History Channel and they were discussing the theoretical possibility of a separate dimension where everything was antimatter (relative to us anyway), which was interesting. Can't say if that wasn't more than just some thought the guy on TV had, but as long as all particles were completely opposite of ours, I don't see why it wouldn't work?

Fermions have antimatter equivalents, which have identical mass and spin, just opposite charge; although I don't know how bosons would interact with anti-fermions, although I would assume that the interactions would be the same as with "normal" fermions (because bosons have no charge).

EDIT: Oops, I confused Bosons and Fermions. Fixed now.

rkcstr said:
[quote author=nikokapo link=1212597805/0#3 date=1212698367]I was wrong at the start, anti-matter does exist. But i was trying to discuss if the inversion of electrons with protons was possible.

If you inverted the charge on both the proton and electron, they would still be oppositely charged and presumably would be stable as long as they didn't meet their non-inverted friends, LOL.

I was watching an episode of "The Universe" on The History Channel and they were discussing the theoretical possibility of a separate dimension where everything was antimatter (relative to us anyway), which was interesting. Can't say if that wasn't more than just some thought the guy on TV had, but as long as all particles were completely opposite of ours, I don't see why it wouldn't work?
[/quote]

WHERE would it be. I always thought about that but i cant stop thinking "but they're charged oppositely, so they would attract and they would do fun explosions!" even if they were too far away, there has to be a limit where these two universes would join, and thats where they'd start imploding.....unless there's somewhere in the universe with no charge that could serve as a separator :/

well if they are seperate dimensions, they more or less exist in the same space as us, just out of phase. of course this is mostly the stuff of sci-fi so who really knows. When the string theorists finally figure something out then we will know more.

climbak said:
well if they are seperate dimensions, they more or less exist in the same space as us, just out of phase. of course this is mostly the stuff of sci-fi so who really knows. When the string theorists finally figure something out then we will know more.

That's what i tried to understand two days ago.....string theory.....sadly, i lack enough knowledge to get it =(

There's really no (direct) evidence that there are alternate/parallel universes; there are simply some theories which allow for them.

Alternate universes wouldn't exist in the same space, but adjacent to us. If you imagine a 2D universe, like a sheet of paper, you can put another right next to it, so that the two are touching, but still tow distinct universes.

There's nothing preventing an alternate anti-matter universe, as positrons are just as stable as electrons, and anti-protons are just as stable as protons.

String theory isn't as complex as it seems, it is just a very comprehensive theory, which has many different, opposing versions. Essentially, it states that all matter is composed of vibrating strings of pure energy, each string shorter than a Planck Length. Some theories have strings as open-ended strings, other theories have them as closed loops, although the closed loops are generally more accepted (I have no idea why). The strings make up bosons and fermions (bosons are messenger particles, like Photons, W and Z particles, and Gluons; fermions make up quarks, leptons, and neutrinos, and their three variants) which then make up protons and other subatomic particles. String theories allow for multiple dimenions, but those dimensions are curled up and are around the same size as strings. String theory is so amazing, because it smooths out the plane of spacetime through the use of strings, which then allows Quantum Mechanics to fit with General Relativity. There are a few other things, but that's all that is really important to know about string theory.

I got all of it but
String theories allow for multiple dimenions, but those dimensions are curled up and are around the same size as strings. String theory is so amazing, because it smooths out the plane of spacetime through the use of strings, which then allows Quantum Mechanics to fit with General Relativity.
confused me.

daguin

nikokapo said:
I got all of it but
String theories allow for multiple dimenions, but those dimensions are curled up and are around the same size as strings. String theory is so amazing, because it smooths out the plane of spacetime through the use of strings, which then allows Quantum Mechanics to fit with General Relativity.
confused me.

Get this movie to lay a base for later understanding.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499596/

Peace,
dave

There are three episodes of NOVA discussing string theory exclusively, hosted by Brian Greene. They're quite good, albeit cheezy, and explain virtually EVERYTHING except the really complex calculus, although there are scenes in the movie which show actual equations and resultants. It also explains the flaws in string theory, notably its lack of testable predictions. I would highly recommend it, if you have 3 hours to spare.