Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another Laser RMA?

N00B

Well i received my second DG 5mw greenie, but i think i need to RMA it also.

I need your opinions though, i might just be being too picky.

The brightness fluctuates, sometimes it gets really dim then really bright. I know thats not normal. If you could watch the video then tell me whether or not you think i should RMA i would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• CLIP0007.AVI
    2.7 MB · Views: 57

N00B

So thats one for an RMA, and i was really thinking about one of those wicked laser 5mw. DG has been really nice so far and i do give people chances, but getting two defective products in a row kind of sucks.

RMA: 1

Dont RMA: 0

S

SenKat

Two strikes - are you paying shipping to return it ? That is definitely not a good thing - those have constant on switches, right ? I have not heard of Wicked's 5mw ones...off now to peek :p

N00B

This is the 5mw APC model they sell.

They sent me a UPS sticker for the first laser that was dead, i dont know what is going to happen with the second. The packaging worries me, this is how it was shipped both times ( see pictures below) The gray inside the tube is the box that the laser is in. Its just "jammed" in the middle of the tube.

RMA: 2

Dont RMA: 0

Just make sure it is nothing simple like a bad battery or endcap contact. Also push the button down quite a few times to make sure there is not some small amount of contamination on the contact pad. If all that checks out then RMA it.

S

SenKat

Okay - I went and checked out the WL 5mw dealio - seems pretty cool, someone should buy one and post a comprehensive review of it ! (HINT HINT !)

siska

Without showing video to offiical engineer, my guess is the fluctuation is caused by APC adjusting the power. Most of these lasers are tuned to higher than 5mw, we put them at whatever current they can safely handle. My guess is the current (and power of the laser) is a little high and is frequently adjusting itself lower. A replacement laser that didn't behave this way would likely be less powerful. I'm not 100% sure though, let me show the vids to some others first.

I can provide a definite response on the box though. We have a drop-shipper in the U.S. that mails all these 5mws for us. We ship to them with the batteries outside the laser and that gray box looking in mint condition. Although we QC test at manufacture, we like to have them re-tested once they get in the USA. So before the item ships to final customer, the shipper pulls it out of the box, inserts the battery and tests it again. The box is not that sturdy so it gets to looking how you see it now. It would actually be discarded, but it works as an added protection inside the shipping tube and keeps it from flopping around in there. I didn't realize the look was so bad upon arrival and that would definitely leave a bad first impression if I were the customer. We'll have to do something to address that.

Because of the double test our QC is actually pretty high. DGear is a new retailer but we've been selling the same model laser for a long time and out of 1000 we maybe have to replace 5.  Unfortunatey for NOOB this means nothing because he's a nice guy and an active forum member and he's unhappy with two he's received from us now. But we'll work to get it fixed.

T Chang
Destructive Gear

SenKat said:
Okay - I went and checked out the WL 5mw dealio - seems pretty cool, someone should buy one and post a comprehensive review of it ! (HINT HINT !)

lol just wait for pseudo. he ordered 4!

N00B

Yes i have to give DG props on how they are handling things, Teping has been very nice and im sure we will get this worked out.

Kenom

Ok, I'm no expert on laser identification, but that appears to me to be a leadlight. You should be able to pop off the button with a small fine implement and see a plastic casing inside (black) there should be a small hole that will allow you to see the pcb below. I had problems with my leadlight putting out a very unstable beam just like yours and there is no APC in a leadlight so it was the pot in mine that was bad. I would rma it if you can. my .o2¢

nes_ds

Kenom said:
Ok, I'm no expert on laser identification, but that appears to me to be a leadlight.
Don't forget about the DG stiker, ;D J/K

I believe it is a leadlight, the case is a major givaway.

Hey nice legs!

N00B said:
This is the 5mw APC model they sell.

They sent me a UPS sticker for the first laser that was dead, i dont know what is going to happen with the second. The packaging worries me, this is how it was shipped both times ( see pictures below) The gray inside the tube is the box that the laser is in. Its just "jammed" in the middle of the tube.

N00B

Many thanks LOL, Wearing a pair of Duke shorts, nice shorts, but i got to stick with my boys at Wisconsin ;D