Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another Laser Plotter thread

Fyod

Hi guys, new here so "Hi" to ya'll :yh:

I would like to discuss a project I'm planning on doing and there are things I'm not sure about.
I'll be glad to photodocument this when I start building.

My idea for a laser plotter is to buy a cheap vinyl plotter from ebay, maybe even used. I already have one for regular vinyl work and its performs great. The reason for using one is that I'm not that much of an engineer to build one like some of the projects I read here on the forums.
My main goal is cut styrofoam logos/lettering. Thus my main question is what laser wattage would you recommend? I'm thinking 500-1000mW, but that's just a guess. Whoever has any experience with cutting styrofoam, could you describe how it went? If I could also burn pictures onto (but not trough) leather or plexiglass etc., that would be a nice bonus.

Now, the plotter would have to be disected, removing the bottom from the top to accomodate the thickness of styro desks (I'm thinking up to 5 or 10cm). The main difference would be that instead of the whole top of the plotter moving to cut, it would stay the same as with the vinyl foils, using the bottom rollers to move a platen of some sort, on which the styro desks would be layed (and fixed with something).
The vinyl plotters have a "knife-up, knife-down" mechanism (electromagnet?) for traveling to/from cut lines. I would use this for turning the laser on/off.

My only concerns are the speed at which the styro can be cut, becuase the plotters move pretty fast even set at lowest speed, though this could probably be further tuned, and keeping the letters in place, so they don't move since the lower roller of the plotters moves quickly. But if the cut was very thin, this may not be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Welcome to the forum:)
I'm a noobie too but I'm pretty sure 1000mw of laser will not do what you want, at least not as fast as you would want it to. Please correct me if I'm wrong..(as if I had to ask):bowdown::crackup::crackup:

For cutting styrofoam, I've always used nichrome wire and an adjustable DC power supply.

It works great but it's a manual process. (IE...not computer controlled)
I'm sure there are computer controlled versions of nichrome wire styrofoam cutters, but I have never looked for one.
And again, Welcome!

Good luck.
Rod

Last edited:

Fyod

Could someone with a higher watt laser try out cutting the usual home styrofoam, maybe 1" thick?
A video would be awesome. I searched everywhere but can't find info on cutting styrofoam.
(Except the usual CNC methods)

udanis

Could someone with a higher watt laser try out cutting the usual home styrofoam, maybe 1" thick?
A video would be awesome. I searched everywhere but can't find info on cutting styrofoam.
(Except the usual CNC methods)

We had a 30w C02 laser at school and we couldn't cut Styrofoam on it cause the glasses/vapors produced would degrade the lens. That was stated in the manual.

Also if the foam contains pvc cutting it would produce chlorine and that is pretty nasty stuff.

I would be very careful with cutting certain plastics and foams. I think there are far better ways to cut foam than using a laser.