Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another french newbie

Hi everyone,
I'm Clément, and I live in France. English is not my first language so I apologize for my mistakes. :thanks:

I discovered this forum a long time ago ( by watching youtube videos :) ). It helped me a lot, but i am now subscribing because I have a few questions.

I like electronics and computers (C/C++ , linux, etc ...), and i have already made a blu-ray laser with a homemade LM317 driver, but it died, certainly because of too much current, ( 200mA with a SF-AW210, quite intensive use => lasted less than a week :yabbem: ).
I have also made one Kipkay-like red laser ( Bad, bad, I know :eg: , but I use 2 rechargables batteries of 1.2V, so the diode only has about 2.4V and 90mA, which I think is quite safe for a DVD burner diode), but I burnt one diode (I have another) in this build with a reverse polarity mistake :gun:

Now, i want to make more reliable ( and hopefully longer-lasting) lasers :D , that's why I'm here.

Thanks,
Clément

PS: by the way, is there any other french here ? ( exept max17 who posted just before me)

Last edited:

Hi everyone,
I'm Clément, and I live in France. English is not my first language so I apologize for my mistakes. :thanks:

I discovered this forum a long time ago ( by watching youtube videos :) ). It helped me a lot, but i am now subscribing because I have a few questions.

I like electronics and computers (C/C++ , linux, etc ...), and i have already made a blu-ray laser with a homemade LM317 driver, but it died, certainly because of too much current, ( 200mA with a SF-AW210, quite intensive use => lasted less than a week :yabbem: ).
I have also made one Kipkay-like red laser ( Bad, bad, I know :eg: , but I use 2 rechargables batteries of 1.2V, so the diode only has about 2.4V and 90mA, which I think is quite safe for a DVD burner diode), but I burnt one diode (I have another) in this build with a reverse polarity mistake :gun:.

Now, I want to make more reliable ( and hopefully longer-lasting) lasers :D , that's why I'm here.

Thanks,
Clément

PS: BTW, is there any other french here ? ( exept max17 who posted just before me)

Yes, i am.
Bienvenue.

Bonjour Clement,

Bienvenue chez notre forum!!! Pour votre laser rouge, pourquoi pas essayez un LM317 ici aussi? Regle a 420mA pour LPC-815, ca va foncionner tres bien. (SVP excuse la perte des accents, je travail maintenant sur un clavier anglais ...)

Enjoy your stay here, loads of info in faqs, stickies and searching old posts. We have all sorts of DIY components available too. Please remember the need for eye protection and safe laser useage practices.

The problem is that i don't know what is actually the power of the red diode i have, because it is from an old DVD recorder (connected to a TV, not from a computer), and i have no idea of its speed.

And i also wanted to make a custom LM317-based driver, with a few more features, but i will soon create a new post about it.

D

Deleted member 8382

Let me know any doubt about lm317 based drivers, pm me with a link to the thread if you want a fast answer ;)

About your diode, try to post a photo, but anyways the best you can do is to by a new LOC diode, less than 20$ with shipping included and you'll get a reliable and powerful diode (250mW).

If you want to avoid writing mistakes, try to use Opera to post, it has a built in corrector which helps me a lot, check my signature for more info.

Yours,
Albert

Welcome to the forums!! glad to have ya here! you'll find tons... and tons... and tons... and tons times a thousand of information here! sometimes more than you can digest :na:. But it's alright, just try your best and sooner or later you'll get the hang of things (in fact i still am also, i'm quite new myself), if you have any questions you can also post a thread, or asked an experienced vetran. But be warned: We do not like helping people that are too lazy to help themselves, so PLEASE PLEASE use the search button before posting a new thread, just search the topic and soak up all the information you can, and if you still cannot find the answer your looking for, then post a new thread in the appropriate section:)

T-Bone Steak/T. Bomb/Timmy