Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

And now, for something completely different....

Yes, my initial reaction as well.
Upon further reading you used Camphor wood, which just so happens to be wood from my favourite tree of all time (Cinnamomum Camphora).
definitely would love to buy the host. :) :drool: +1 !!

A little history from me. Sorry I got sidetracked...

I have 2 related trees growing in Victoria BC Canada both from the same genus as your Camphor wood host, Cinnamomum. These are Cinnamomum Japonicum and Cinnamomum Septentrionale. Both are growing without any kind of protection. I live in a fairly solid Z9 climate with fairly warm dry summers.
Japonicum wood is pungent and has an odor like Cinnamon and
camphor combined. Septentrinoale (Ginsu) Silver wood has an odour like candy or root beer because of the high amounts of Saffrole in the wood.
Both trees are excellent woods to work with!

We love camphor as well. Its beautiful to the eye, but the burl is def a PITA to work with, esp when turning. Im the wood turner in the shop, and I cant tell you enough of the problems Ive had with it on the lathe. Ive lost many a good piece just due to the nature of the wood. But, when you do get a piece fully completed...it just stuns.

sinner

Great work as always, I have wondered why dont we use unusual materials such as wood, acrylic/glass, a combination of metals but you sir have done it all now that I think of. +rep

I am a budding laser enthusiast and have been following this forum for a while. I had to sign up after seeing the Copernicus laser host that Osirus Labs has on their web site. I have been a finish carpenter and hillbilly artist for almost 20 years and you guys have created a damn masterpiece. I don't know if anyone else has ever incorporated exotic woods or wood at all in the making of a laser host, but you guys have nailed it. What a piece! I assumed your finish work included the sanding of the brass, I think it is anyway, and the burl wood after the piece was assembled together for the organic look the flow of the components have together. This is something I have done with certain hardware pieces in the building of furniture. Swell job with a badass piece, Osirus folks! Very impressed, indeed. I wonder what the damn thing weighs... goodness, guys!

DTR

Now that is a awesome unique host but I would expect nothing less from you guys and the wood action button just tops it off. Great work J.:beer:

In case you missed it, J did another host in Camphor Burl, You can check out the pix here:
THE COPERNICUS 2.

And here is The COPERNICUS 3, made with BirdsEye Maple with Aluminum & Copper. This one is fully built, with a 405nM & he says its his personal one. :yh: However...if someone was REALLY interested in getting it.........pm us.

Attachments

• COPERNICUS3a.jpg
    COPERNICUS3a.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 95
  • COPERNICUS3b.jpg
    COPERNICUS3b.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 80
  • COPERNICUS3c.jpg
    COPERNICUS3c.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 72
  • COPERNICUS3d.jpg
    COPERNICUS3d.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 91
Dang it, you beat me to it. I've been sitting on a piece of purple heart for about 6 weeks now trying to get my shop at home set up. I bought some brass pieces because I liked thier shape and was going to incorperate them as well.
Just a few minutes ago I was indicating in the table on the mill. I then checked my PMs and Flaminpyro said someone had beat me to it.
My lathe will be here in about 10 wks (back ordered). Not sure if I'll ever get time on the machines at work as the always have hot jobs on them.
Nice work by the way. I like Burl as well but the purple heart looks really nice, especially after it's laqured.

Last edited:
Dang it, you beat me to it. I've been sitting on a piece of purple heart for about 6 weeks now trying to get my shop at home set up. I bought some brass pieces because I liked thier shape and was going to incorperate them as well.
Just a few minutes ago I was indicating in the table on the mill. I then checked my PMs and Flaminpyro said someone had beat me to it.
My lathe will be here in about 10 wks (back ordered). Not sure if I'll ever get time on the machines at work as the always have hot jobs on them.
Nice work by the way. I like Burl as well but the purple heart looks really nice, especially after it's laqured.

I love Purple Heart. Have you ever seen Pink Ivory? There are so many different woods out there..and we have been playing with some ideas of what to use and to mix n match. All of the hosts in the Copernicus series have full metal for heat dissipation & are encased by wood. All of it is hand turned and finished, as is the usual DeadEye quality. :)

Never heard of Pink Ivory 'til now. I'm going to use a C6 host turned down and put it inside a turned piece of purple heart. The end pieces will be brass, with a copper heat sink. The button will be wood as well.