Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aixiz vs. O-Like modules

HIMNL9

I mean directly threading the hole in the heatsink, and screw the head in it ..... what is the external diameter of the threaded part, BTW ? ..... same 11x0.5mm as aixiz ?

I'm asking cause i don't have one for measure it ..... anyway, if you already have a 12mm hole heatsink, and want to use an o-like module, if it's the same size, you can use a tap for thread more deep the back part of an aixiz module, then cut the threaded part at the right lenght and screw it on the head of the o-like module (call me dr frankenstein, LOL) ..... this will fill the gap between the threaded part and a standard 12mm heatsink, conducting the heat much well than just the set screw ;)

It's not difficult, i just tried this on the back of an aixiz module (you can see where the original thread was stopping from the dark line at half of the thread) ..... it just need a tap, and they can be found cheapy in ebay (i searched here for 11x0.5mm taps for weeks, in my hardware shops, without find them, and then found a seller in ebay (i think the name is merlin tools or similar) selling them for less than half the prices i pay the common ones here *AAARGH* )

Attachments

• extra-thread.jpg
    extra-thread.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

HIMNL9,
At work now have to go home and look. I don't think that one will screw into the back of an Aixiz, think I tried that b4. I'll try to take measurements and get back to you later.
Best to ya,
Splat

Measured the o.d. of the threads on the O-Like, came out very close to the 12mm of the bore hole in the Ohrenberg heatsink. One problem is that the depth of the threaded nib on the O-like head is not long enough to let the set screw make contact with the module head. there it a approx 12.7mm dia. lip between the end of the threads and the first cooling fin. scraping some of the heatsink bore out with a 1/2 in. step drill might help, but I don't think so,,, gonna take some major modification ( 1) grind/lathe away the first cooling fin to a dia. of 12mm, or 2) punch out one of Matt's heatsinks to 18mm (probablly re-drill & tap a hole for the set screw). Idea is still looking less and less prommising as time goes on....

If anyone is still watching this thread:

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you,
Did a QUICK micrometer job (so the measurements are not true and exact, but close enough to get the points across) on the O-Like module and the Aixiz module (which O-Like now carries). hopefully I can get the cobbled up pictures (stolen from O-Like site and annotated with measurements) uploaded.

Had to throw the last one in for fun.

Attachments

• Aixiz Module.jpg
    Aixiz Module.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 446
  • O-Like module.jpg
    O-Like module.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 431
  • ImpossibleFork.jpg
    ImpossibleFork.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 280

HIMNL9

Then it's a 12x0.5mm thread (considering tolerances) ..... still doable, but need to get a 12x0.5mm tap tool (and here they don't sell them :p)

Ah, well ..... thanks for the measures :beer:

I know this is a bit of a dead thread, so sorry for dragging it up again... but just wondering if anyone has built a handheld with one of the o-like modules? I have an 18mm and a 15.77mm and I'm looking to build with them both!!!