Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aixiz module focusing

Both of my LDs from the first group buy are now up and running in aixiz modules and I have a question.......I cannot seem to get a "well focused" dot out of either of them. The one that is going into my R/G/Y scanner is acceptable, ie no worse than the greenie it will work with, the other one will be built into the DX torch I have on order and I will be experimenting with burning (having said on another thread that that sort of thing is of no interest to me ) Is there any mod that others have done that I can try to get a smaller dot or is what I have got the best I am going to get?

Regards rog8811

From my post buried in the ld driver thread.

@ DDL, I have only pushed the LD in to flush at the back of the housing, the focus problem seems to be that if it is a dot at a few inches it is a torch at a few feet and visa versa.... I will see if I can get some photo's done.

Regards rog8811

S

SenKat

Rog - you have stumbled across the main issue with aixiz modules ! They only focus the laser, they do not collimate it. The best you can do for collimation is to set the focus pretty far out - for your laser show, set the focus for about 60 feet out or so - that will give you enough of a nice beam, and pseudo-collimated as well. For burning, you can either set it for a few inches, or a few feet - but at least it is adjustable :)

G !

If you're collimating it as well as your greenie then you're doing pretty good. There are physical limitations on beam specs and that's what you're seeing. All beams have to divergence, and the thinner the beam, the more they have to diverge. Therefore, your only real option is to use a weaker lens, further away from the module, so that you have a thicker beam. In return you will be able to get a tighter focus at distance. Its not really the AixiZ module to blame though, its just those pesky laws of physics.

It looks like I need to brush up on collimating lenses to see what is possible to do with this diode......
If I come up with anything that works I will post it on the forum.

Regards rog8811

Daedal

IT seems to me like SenKat hit the nail on the head. All the AixiZ module does is focus the beam to a point. The variable focus allows for the beam to be collimated by setting the focus at a very far our distance. This is much better than using collimating optics because it lets you burn with the laser, then turn around and point to a star! :D

I don't think you have a problem there Rog, it's just a matter of getting used to it ;)

GL;
DDL

S

SenKat

One other option is the glass optics that Aixiz sells - those are actual collimating lenses unless I am mistaken (I think that happened once...POSSIBLY twice...Psuedo can tell you for sure ! LOL !!!) <---kidding, of course !

Pseudo - what do you think ? Or any others that have the glass optics ? I tend to think they may be collimating since there are so many damned lenses in there !

G !