Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aiming on airplanes

Say the plane was a fighter jet dont they use lasers to lock on to targets,maybe a laser from the ground, ( a very powerful IR ) could fool the plane into thinking it had been targeted.
is this possible???

suiraM

Yes. That has also happened up here.

During a training flight, one of the fresh recruits on the ground shone a laser on a fighter jet. Probably a greenie with significant IR leakage. The panel gave the usual warnings that the plane had been targetted, and the pilot started doing evasive maneuvers at a low altitude over the compound, more than a bit startled at finding himself targetted in friendly airspace. Obviously, a jet doing evasive maneuvers at low altitude over a compound on a training mission is anything but desireable.

Needless to say, there was a court-martial, though I've no idea how it went.

DIE4DIODE said:
Say the plane was a fighter jet dont they use lasers to lock on to targets,maybe a laser from the ground, ( a very powerful IR ) could fool the plane into thinking it had been targeted.
is this possible???

Or if the fighter had deployed a laser guided missle and you shined your laser around it might go for you!

lol j/k i know that they use a special pulse pattarn that the missle locks on to.

but if you shined a high enough power laser right at a laser guided missle you might blind it and it would go off target?

Joe

DIE4DIODE said:
Maybe the laser beam could effect the airoplanes controls ,computer navigaction equipment or radar????

Not the controls unless you could burn through the airplanes skin (as far as I know only the US government has a laser with that capability).
Navigation: No. Same as the controls. Unless you were trying to land with an MLS (Microwave Landing System) and someone got you with a MASER. MLS is rare. The only one I know of is in Boise Idaho. It might even be decommissioned.
Radar: No. Unless someone had a MASER...

The problem here is that people don't understand the power of lasers. Everybody knows you when you get shot by a gun it hurts and you die but people think about lasers as the 0.5mW pointers you got when you were a kid that made cats go crazy so when they hear about these new next gen high powered green lasers they try to do the same things but don't realize the power. The Media doesn't do a good job either with their ways of over exaggerating their power (blinding pilots up the 22 miles out) and pilots that are just looking for excuses not to fly. Same kinda Liberal crap that banned Title 2 Machine Guns here in California. They don't understand that people have lasers because their cool and feed off the stupid things idiots do to re enforce reasons for banning them.

As for the risk of getting caught, unless you would like to face the possibility of spending a few years in come rape me in the ass club don't try it.