Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ahh my laser!

can anyone help me with what i hope is a quick question my newish laser when i turn it on its really bright but after .5 sec it dims to a much weaker level.... is this prob just the batts running low? i don't have any more to test so is this typical of low batteries?

T

timelord

It sounds like you have mode issues with it, this is quite common for pen type lasers, maybe put a magnifying glass in front of it and switch it on to see if the beam is dividing into two and then going back into one beam..
This will indicate a mode issue.

umm nope i did that at different distances and such and its one roundish dot (wider after through the magnifying glass but its a bit dodge) other then that it seems ok... could it be batteries?

T

timelord

Sounds like batteries use some lithiums and let us know what you find ;)

lol i dont have any more, so im sitting here worrying :(.... im pretty sure its batteries tho.. *crosses fingers*

Another likely possibility is thermal temp of the crystals which have a specific range of temperature at which they lase optimally. The diode IR pumps the crystal causing laseing and heat which has to be dissipated if not the the laseing frequency shifts a bit causing less efficient laseing and dimmer output. The same can be accomplished it the laser is colder or warmer the the specified operating temperature range. If the output always dims after a few seconds of use followed by a cool down period and then dims again after a warm up period then it is a problem of poor thermal conductivity between the crystal mount and the module.

thanks mate i thought it was a heat problem, however it seems to be ok now, it seemed to be just the one night where it was cold... tho its Australia so cold here is still 12C ..... meh it seems ok now though maby just the batteries were dim cos with new ones its great.

Yes 12 C is a problem for both the MCA crystals and power cells. I use e2 lithium cells. Remember that the power switches usually don't like 100+ mA. Sometimes they "break in" with use like on my DX200 !!

Mike