Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice on laser ocean project

i want to shine light through water that ripples and waves in time to music to create an organic music visualizer on the other side. I'm going to use a hexagonal grid of lasers as the light source to create a kind of stormy laser sea.

So first the body of the laser needs to be of thin as possible so they can be packed together, but also the beam be quite wide so the dots can be noticeably refracted by the water. They don't need to be powerful as they'll be many and t'd be good if they were connected to a main power box instead of batteries so i wouldn't have to press a hundred on switches every time.

Ideally they'd be blue and purple but if green or red are easiest to work with
that'd look pretty awesome too. If any one knows what kind of lasers to look for that be great and if someone is willing to build a little rig that'd be blessing
and i'd be willing to part with £50 or so after i get some christmas money for the materials and effort.

Thankyou Laser people!

Teej

Some lasers, such as can be focusable, and some also have rectangular spots instead of round ones, so the beam can be adjusted to the depth and surface area you wanted.

I have a blue (445 nm) for example with both of those features, so I can make the blue rectangle very small, like a grain of rice, or, very large, more like a flashlight beam (A rectangular one at least...), or anything in between.

Are you versed in laser safety? Blue and Purple are usually pretty strong, ie; will blind you permanently.

Is the laser going through or reflecting off the surface of the water? You won't see any movement going through the water.

Lower powered reds are pretty inexpensive on the Bay...

Lot of 60pcs Mini 650nm 3V 6mm 5mW Laser Dot Diode Module Red Laser Copper Head | eBay

$T2eC16h,!y8E9s2fl7uwBRT7iZ5z1Q~~60_12.JPG

Be safe :cool:

~ LB