Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aconsen 40-50 mW module

Hey guys, I hope this isn't bad timing but I did want to show some positive news from StandStone11's modules.  I attached the module to a flashlight host running 3 AAA batteries.  The only mod I made was removing the on/off button from the driver and replaced it with a wire bridge.  This way I could use the hosts on/off button.  The output is reading 51 mW's on my LaserBee I power meter.  The beam is bright and I would say it is TEM00 based on my unscientific eye.  Cool thing is I now have an odd looking green pointer for about $40.00 ($26.00 for module plus $10.00 host) :)
CIMG0679.jpg

CIMG0680.jpg

CIMG0682.jpg

CIMG0683.jpg

The reason your getting a nice high reading is because you're using 4.5 volts and the
LD modules are rated (??) at 3 volts... I''v taken one of her 5mw-10mw green modules
(7mW @ 3Volts) to 25mW @ 5Volts.
Her 40mw to 50mw modules (47mW @ 3Volts) I've taken to 77mW @ 5Volts... :eek:
They do need heat sinking at 5Volts.  ;)

And for the price... they are hard to beat... :)

BTW.... nice little build you got there :cool: :cool:

I just received another 40-50 mW module from Standstone11. I hooked it up to a 3 volt CR123 battery and puts out a strong 50mW's. I imagine if I switched it out with the other module using the 4.5 v AAA's I would get closer to 75mW. Anyway...not bad for the price :) I am going to try and fit the module into a mini-maglite. It will slide right in if you widen out the inner ring on top. I will then use a 14650 lithium battery supplying 3.7 volts. I'll also design a small heatsink to keep it cool :) When I get it completed, I'll post some pictures.

i also made a similar one to your but i got a custom heat sink built for it.... i will have to snap some pictures of it later on :)

its an a green pocket pal host

I also received a couple of 40-50mW, they both tested in at 53mW with a single 14500 3.7v battery, (almost fully-charged). Nice beam, and I am going to begin offering heatsinks for these to fit into our favorite- red/violet hosts.
I can empathize about Electron's issue, but everything worked out for me, at least this time.
DH

Wackbag,

How is your heatsink constructed? Is it washers or one piece?

I looked at that Dorcy host at Target and thought it would make a nice side-button laser.

cheers,
kernelpanic

kernelpanic said:
Wackbag,

How is your heatsink constructed? Is it washers or one piece?

I looked at that Dorcy host at Target and thought it would make a nice side-button laser.  

cheers,
kernelpanic
Sorry, I didn't reply sooner I just noticed the reply. Anyway, the heatsink is 6061 Aluminum that I cut on a lathe. A while back I purchased a 12 inch x 3 inch solid aluminum cylinder. I cut the blanks on a small bandsaw, then finish the details on the mini-lathe.

Question:

I just got two 40-50mWs in the mail today.  I have a few questions.

1. Is the spring in the middle is ground?  What about the two solder pads on either side of the spring?  Is the case ground? I'm not sure which is the +/- on this one.

2.  What is the best operating voltage for these? I've seen anywhere from 3-5V.

Thanks,
Kristopher

kristopher said:
Question:

I just got two 40-50mWs in the mail today.  I have a few questions.

1. Is the spring in the middle is ground?  What about the two solder pads on either side of the spring?  Is the case ground?  I'm not sure which is the +/- on this one.
Yes, the spring is the negative connector. One of the 2 pads on the back will be the positive. To find out which hook up a multimeter(resistance) to the brass module case. Then put the other multimeter lead on each pad. The positive pad will read 0 ohms. (The negative pad will read 0 ohms when the other lead is connected to the spring.) If you're putting it into a flashlight host, you don't hook up a lead. You just put the battery in backwards and let the case conduct the positive side...
2.  What is the best operating voltage for these?  I've seen anywhere from 3-5V.

Thanks,
Kristopher

They are rated 2.8-3.2 volts. But I've got mine running at 4.5v no problems...

cheers,
kernelpanic

p.s. I've been emailing back and forth with Susie. Her module changed for 40-50mW. The new ones are different. No Pot, no spring, 45mm long, probably won't fit in an aixiz style heatsink(pic attached).... I've ordered one as I have a host it will fit in. I'll post more when I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 90
Great. Thanks for the quick answers. I'll test mine out, but I assume they'll be like everyone else's.

Has the pot already been maximized for power? Or will moving it around most likely fry the module?

kristopher said:
Great. Thanks for the quick answers.  I'll test mine out, but I assume they'll be like everyone else's.

Has the pot already been maximized for power?  Or will moving it around most likely fry the module?

The pot will be glued. It should already have been factory set for highest brightness. It is not advised to modify it.

cheers,
kernelpanic

jed2i

i got mine 40-50 mw module
it's working great

i'm just sad because jou cant adjust the focus, the lens is glued to the case....