Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Accidentally hit in the eye by 10mW?

So I forgot to switch off the laser as I was holding it, I was going to grab something from the kitchen but then i accidentally shined it at the mirror and the light reflected onto my eye. It was a quick jolt and when I opened my eye I saw a huge green/grey blob...I was about to burst out in tears but after 3 minutes it slowly faded away and my vision returned to normal.

I was wondering if I had somehow damaged my retina that I could develop new problems in the future? My eye is okay now, thank God.

Razako

Can you post a picture of the laser or link us to where you got it? If it was a true 10mw then you're 'probably' gonna be fine or have very slight damage. If it was one of those ebay 10 mw lasers that actually put out 50-100mw you might have done some damage.

Yet another accident. I wouldn't want to get 10mW in the eye, 5mW or less you should blink your eye fast enough to save you, but 10mW is a stretch, but you said it reflected off the mirror, so that means there would have been some loss and you wouldn't have got the whole 10mW, assuming it really is only 10mW I wouldn't worry about it if your vision quickly returned to normal. Just be more careful and don't do it again.

Alan

I wouldn't want to test that blink reflex on myself to see if 5mW is safe. I wouldn't look into any laser of even the least power. I cringe every time I hear of one of these accidents.