Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A warning for those in ocean city nj

joeyss

YOU HAVE 20 DAYS FROM JULY 14 TILL HAVING A LASER POINTER IS A CRIME AND PUNISHABLE BY UP TO 500 in fines and 30 DAYS IN JAIL AS A SECONDARY PUNISHMNET.

Ocean City bans high-powered laser pointers | NJ.com

The ordinance comes after a man admitted shining a laser at a Coast Guard helicopter that was flying a training mission 2 miles over the Atlantic Ocean last month.

ALSO to quote the newspaper.

"This measure only applies to devices that exceed one milliwatt in output power and typically emit at green light."

I think they're going too far with the whole 1 mw green thing. The fda allows for up to 5mws. I agree that something had to be done since it was a problem last year with 20 people per 2000 feet having green , but some of this is a little too extreme. What if i have FDA compliant handheld green with no batteries in my glovebox and a cop stops me. Should I really be fined and jailed? What do you guys think?

Well..... we knew it was coming...
There are too many ignorant morons with green lasers
out there...:cryyy:

Jerry

Fenzir

I actually saw this on the news and meant to make a thread about it.

I think they need to redefine how they mean. Personally, I think they should only ban and fine the merchants, because they're the ones who made it so everybody there has one.
And does this regard lab lasers? I'm sure there is somebody in Ocean City that has a hobby of lasers.

joeyss

It says any device that emits "laser light" and can be used to target aim or point out "features" So anything that emits laser light over 1 mw is high powered? Yet I can make a array of bright green spotligts and shine them at something a mile away at night? Since it's non laser light.

mfo

I have a better idea. How about we ban Ocean City? Nothing special there anyway.

joeyss

Lol I'm there now for two weeks this year until the 29th. So does this mean I can get arrested for having a 5 mw 635? lame.

Fenzir

just say it's 1mw. 5mw 635 is probably near 1mw 532 brightness, no?

mfo

lmfao @ this response

"I understand the concern, but banning them? Most people having those lasers use them for pointing out constellations, stars, etc. They are perfect for that. If there are idiots pointing them at aircraft, make the fine huge, and some jail time. Just because something is used wrongfully doesn't mean it should be banned. Afterall, that can become a bit extreme. If someone throws a banana peel on the sidewalk potentially someone could slip, fall, hit their head, and suffer serious injuries. Do we ban bananas? Or, might it be smarter to be more vigilant of litterers and fine them.....Hopefully the latter, cause I like to eat bananas."

joeyss

I have my 50 mw 405 with me but it says 5 mw on the label, but it looks like a 1mw green to most people. Aren't lasers legal to own if they're over 5mw and OEM or FDA compliant? I don't like how they're telling you what you cant have. Does this mean if a cop in Ocean city NJ sees me testing a 532 module in my house they can arrest me?The thing is they say the law was enacted by the request of the federal government and the local police. Glad I live in PA.

I think at this point any laser law enforcement sees will be confiscated and treated as illegal. I don't think they care if its 1mw or not.

I have a better idea. How about we ban Ocean City? Nothing special there anyway.

Being an NJ resident myself... I'll second that.

The law is retarded though, I mean anything can be used to mal intent - I want to see them ban lighters... someone could start a fire with them after all:banghead:

Also I highly doubt cops are about to start carrying around portable LPM's in ocean city.... 1mW stickers anyone:eg:

joeyss

I love how they sell hunting knifes on the board walk and stuff. I say 5mw green with 1mw sticker and a 10x or 30x beam expander. They won't know what the @#$% it is since it looks much bigger and dimmer....yet it goes just as far.

joeyss

Dx sells a 1mw green...idk what the real power is I'd guess 10 or 15 mw.

Use your lasers anyway. If police question you, do not say ANYTHING. Refuse to give away your property without due process of the law. I highly doubt this law is an arrestable offense. They would need evidence to seize your property, evidence would likely be very hard to obtain.
I doubt, or at least I HOPE, that judges will not give away warrants based solely on the word of an officer.
That being said, why are you in NJ in the first place? :p

EDIT:
Would I be out there in assuming that lasers that you already own would be "grandfathered" into this law?

Last edited: