Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A thread about voltage

a battery which is rated at Ni-Cd 3.6V 1.8Ah...

If it's older than a few months, it will be quite a bit lower than 1.8Ah. Any NiCd cell older than a few years will have capacity of near zero. NiCd is in no way superior to modern battery technologies. Nobody uses them any more because they're garbage.

Heck I can replace the Ni-Cd with 2 18650 3.7V 9900mAh Li-ion for cheap ! That should be able to power a monster laser shouldn't it ?

That would be 7.4V 9900mAh power to run the laser, is there anything better than that in a comparable size setup ?

Last edited:
Heck I can replace the Ni-Cd with 2 18650 3.7V 9900mAh Li-ion for cheap ! That should be able to power a monster laser shouldn't it ?
There aren't any 9000mah 18650's. 3500mah max. LG Sanyo and Panasonic. There are only a few actual manufactures of these batteries. Outside of them are just rewraps that use one reason or another to make a claim.

The space I have for batteries is appox 127mm X 23mm do any killer batteries that could fit that space come to mind with anybody ?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I can believe that The very light Li-Ion batteries (2 cells) on the right have more capacity than the Ni-Cd battery (3 cells) on the left ? Is that correct ?!?

How can that be ?

If there is no mistake and the 2 batteries on the right are that much better than the 3 on the left i'll find Li-Ion cells that will fit in the same space as the Ni-Cd's did !

Actually, Each of the lithium cells pictured should have about the same storage capacity as all 3 of the NiMH cells combined. A lithium ion cell puts out 3 times the voltage as a NiMH cell.

Hey I can fit 2 ea 26650 Li-Ion batteries in place of the Ni-Cd, Anything I should know about buying no BS 26650 Li-Ion batteries

Actually, Each of the lithium cells pictured should have about the same storage capacity as all 3 of the NiMH cells combined. A lithium ion cell puts out 3 times the voltage as a NiMH cell.
And at a fraction of the weight !

I hadn't realized battery tech had progressed as much as it has !

Last edited:
Think of voltage like a water pipe. The speed of the water through the pipe represents the current or Amperage. The amount of water flowing through the pipe represents the voltage.

Well I do know this I know this, The way in which the laser power output drops does not suggest a battery issue IMHO....

diachi

Think of voltage like a water pipe. The speed of the water through the pipe represents the current or Amperage. The amount of water flowing through the pipe represents the voltage.

Your first part is correct, the second part isn't. Voltage is more akin to water pressure in your analogy.

Your first part is correct, the second part isn't. Voltage is more akin to water pressure in your analogy.
I like the plumbing analogy. The diode is a backflow check valve and the voltage is the pressure required to open the check valve and amperage is the measure of volume that passes through the valve. Am I right?

Does the analogy work for pentodes, magnetrons, vacuum fluorescent displays, numitrons, pressure transducers, and negative temperature coefficient thermistors? :na:

Does the analogy work for pentodes, magnetrons, vacuum fluorescent displays, numitrons, pressure transducers, and negative temperature coefficient thermistors? :na:
It works for all kinds of big words like that :crackup: