Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A New Way To Clean Laser Lens !

Update - This only works fairly good with brand new cleaning clay.....

A New Way To Clean Laser Lens !

It removes all dust, dirt, oils, greases, fingerprints, or residue of most any kind, It doesn't use any chemicals, rags or wipes of any kind, is reusable, It will never damage, scratch, scuff any type of lens including acrylic lens ! And if used for only cleaning laser lens will last a life time !

AND it's been used by watchmakers for a very long time with stellar results, It's called "Rodico" and it is used by watchmakers as a cleaning clay...

It can be easily made into any form needed to get into tight spots....

And if properly used it completely cleans the lens surface and leaves no residue behind !

Here a tip for using cleaning clay, You must "dab" the surface to be cleaned with a quick repeating motion making sure to dab straight to the surface and straight away, Any angles or sliding motion and it will leave extremely small "smugs" of clay behind which are again easily removed with the proper technique.

To find it on ebay just type in Bergeon Rodico 6033 cleaning clay and you will be able to buy a life time supply for less than $10 shipped to your house !

Last edited:

It removes all dust, dirt, oils, greases, fingerprints, or residue of most any kind, It doesn't use any chemicals, rags or wipes of any kind, is reusable, It will never damage, scratch, scuff any type of lens including acrylic lens ! And if used for only cleaning laser lens will last a life time !

psdjOgY.gif

I don't care how magical you think a lump of clay is. Oils, dust, dirt, sand, and other contaminants will inevitably become embedded in the goo over time, and WILL scratch the lens and leave a residue. Maybe not on the first or fifth use, but this is far from "lifetime".

I can see your finger prints all over it. Where do you think the oil from your skin goes? Is it magically repelled? Even if it were magically repelled, that would make it rather poor at removing oils from the lens, wouldn't it?

It was a nice thought, but "good enough for a watch face" is a long ways from "good enough for laser optics".

Last edited:
Sorry but you are wrong and it's possible I missed a spot but it works exactly as described, If used properly it WILL NOT scratch the lens....

You opinion is noted but until you've tried it there is really no bases for it there for your opinion is just a guess as shown by your thought that it "magically repelled" which is not even close to how it works or what is happening, it absorbs anything it touches and retains it, You don't even understand how it works yet you write it off as BS ?

Last edited:

diachi

Sorry but you are wrong and it's possible I missed a spot but it works exactly as described....

You opinion is noted but until you've tried it there is really no bases for it there for your opinion is just a guess as shown by your thought that it "magically repelled" which is not is happening, it absorbs anything it touches and retains it.....

Pretty sure that if it's as great and as old you claim people would have been using it for laser optics for years... They haven't. We use high grade Methanol/Acetone/Isopropyl for a reason. We have have expensive products specifically for expensive optics for a reason. Products that actually work in a similar manner to the clay, but are designed specifically with sensitive optics in mind - not watch faces.

Instead of just saying "No! You're wrong!!", why don't you say why Cyp is wrong?

Last edited:
psdjOgY.gif

I don't care how magical you think a lump of clay is. Oils, dust, dirt, sand, and other contaminants will inevitably become embedded in the goo over time, and WILL scratch the lens and leave a residue. Maybe not on the first or fifth use, but this is far from "lifetime".

I can see your finger prints all over it. Where do you think the oil from your skin goes? Is it magically repelled? Even if it were magically repelled, that would make it rather poor at removing oils from the lens, wouldn't it?

It was a nice thought, but "good enough for a watch face" is a long ways from "good enough for laser optics".

Yeah when I saw his fingerprints on the Clay all that came
to mind is the natural oils and any normal dust/dirt on fingers
that would be transferred to the lens.

It is probably good for watch lenses that you only look through
but I wouldn't trust it on any optical lens that transmits a laser
beam.

Jerry

Last edited:
If I used the clay to clean up diamond dust from my laser lens that was in use in a diamond grinding wheel factory, then that diamond dust will be sticking to the clay, if I then rub or dab that clay covered with diamond dust against an acrylic laser lens I will give you 100 to 1 odds that that acrylic lens will be micro scratched just from normal unseen human hand jitter.

It's like your kitchen dishrag is the dirtiest thing in your house.

Cyparagon is right and I thought the same thing the moment I saw it.

A quartz watch lens may look clean, but shine a laser through it and see how clean it's not. It's visibly clean vs microscopically clean.

There is a liquid that you can apply to lens that cures to gel and you peel it and the contaminants it grabbed off, and throw it away, then repeat the process.

Last edited:
Sorry but until you've tried it your opinion is worthless and is just a best guess......

If I used the clay to clean up diamond dust from my laser lens that was in use in a diamond grinding wheel factory, then that diamond dust will be sticking to the clay, if I then rub or dab that clay covered with diamond dust against an acrylic laser lens I will give you 100 to 1 odds that that acrylic lens will be micro scratched just from normal unseen human hand jitter.

It's like your kitchen dishrag is the dirtiest thing in your house.

Cyparagon is right and I thought the same thing the moment I saw it.

Then don't do that ! it's just that simple, Use a new piece of clay if you are at all concerned about over contamination of the clay !

Last edited:
Sorry but until you've tried it your opinion is worthless and is just a best guess......

Yeah you must be right... because you've been using and
building Lasers for years.
Perhaps listening to the experienced members of the Forum
that have actual Laser experience you wouldn't come off
as a Know it All clueless member.

Jerry

Yeah you must be right... because you've been using and
building Lasers for years.
Perhaps listening to the experienced members of the Forum
that have actual Laser experience you wouldn't come off
as a Know it All clueless member.

Jerry

Thank for your ever so rude opinion, Great way to represent LaserBee.....

Last edited:

diachi

CLICK>>>>>> Photonic Cleaning Technologies - Atomically Clean Optics and Mirrors

This is something that works, but you use it and peel it and the contaminants off and throw it away, NOT REUSE IT! It's the dirty dishrag.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-97011.html#post1413944

That's what I was referring to when I said we have expensive products that work similarly in principal.

Thank for your ever so rude opinion, Great way to represent LaserBee.....

Take it that way all you want, he's right.

Last edited:
CLICK>>>>>> Photonic Cleaning Technologies - Atomically Clean Optics and Mirrors

This is something that works, but you use it and peel it and the contaminants off and throw it away, NOT REUSE IT! It's the dirty dishrag.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-97011.html#post1413944
Thank you, I know it does and if people could get pass their bias opinions of me they should give it a try before just dismissing it at hand.....

diachi

Thank you, I know it does and if people could get pass their bias opinions of me they should give it a try before just dismissing it at hand.....

Again, if it's so good why haven't professionals been using it and recommending it for years?

Do people use it on camera lenses too? I've never seen any mention of it being used for that ... probably for good reasons.

Listen to the experienced members here.

Last edited:
Just had a look at eBay for this clay in case I was
wrong... I'm not.
There is no mention of the clay being used as a Lens
cleaner of any sort in the product description.

Bergeon 6033 Original Rodico
Rodico is used for cleaning balance pivots, train wheel pivots, removing finger prints and stains from all parts and removing excess oil from watch jewels and taking out broken pivots from the jewels. Also good for recovering parts from hard to reach areas just dab this onto part and will come away on the rodico.

Jerry

Last edited: