Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A New Old Member or an Old New Member?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member here, but interested in lasers since seeing them in the Edmund Scientific catalog in 1969 as a 12 year old. Despite my early interest, other things that took the front burners were women, cars, partyin' (remember the '70s?) and bicycling (went transcontinental in 1976). Got back to lasers in 1979 when I studied Laser Technology at Vincennes University in Indiana, and eventually worked for Spectra-Physics, LiConix, and Line Lite Laser Corporation as a plasma tube technician.

I've been working for the past ten years on head mounted displays, projectors, fingerprint capture devices and other display devices using a wide variety of lasers of many different wavelengths. Still an avid cyclist (never with a helmet), politically in the center, blue collar, no injuries on my retinas, and generally easy to get along with.

Despite lurking here essentially since it was started, I've only now decided to join because of all the drama that's surrounded my very good friend BobH since he came here. From reading the posts left in his wake, I see very obviously that his side of the story needs to be told.

A few months after joining and without introducing himself, he jumped in to defend a kid from being run out of the forum for simply choosing a username that suggested his preference for LSD. Big drama followed resulting in a poll to ban him. When the poll was brought to the attention of more than the small number of drama queens drumming him out in the Polls section, the vote went 3:1 to not ban him. That incident resulted in the stopping of "ban polls" by the forum.

After that, he felt the group of five or so who tried to ban him kept hounding him by derailing threads he posted in with personal attacks and unfair treatment. He never posted in that group's threads. He never whipped out negative rep for what they were doing. He wanted to get along.

Then a few weeks ago, new moderators were being nominated. This being on the heels of yet another personal attack in an unrelated thread, he voiced his opposition to members of the "group out to get him" being recommended as moderators. This started another round of drama, predictably and understandably. But then, after honestly trying to summarize and end the drama with a statement in general about how internet forums are prone to nastier interactions than real life conversations or debates are, he was jumped on by Mfo (one of the five) and his response pushed enough fence sitters over the top to join voices with the five and flood the moderators with complaints. Avery had enough and banned him without reviewing the threads.

The afternoon of the ban, Avery told Bob the ban was for 7 days. Bob told him it was unfair and Avery agreed to unban him if he agreed to not post anything in response to what was being said about him in the wake of the ban. Bob decided that was not acceptable, as he did not deserve to be banned, and directed that all of his contributions to the forum be deleted.

After the week went by, he wrote to Avery asking if the contributions were deleted. Avery again offered to unban him saying "again, i want to reiterate that i never personally thought u did anything wrong from what i saw at least, i mainly banned you do to the frustration of like 20 people comaplining and moaning and stuff." So you see, BobH never "asked for a 2nd chance" for anything. He's gone. He's free to be here if he wants, as he was since the afternoon of the banning (sorry Mfo), but he's not coming back. Not to a place where an unfairly inflated few "veterans" can get together and push out someone who simply disagrees with their attitudes. There are thousands of people here, 10 or 20 DON'T represent a majority of anything. All they represent is a misuse of the rep and reporting systems.

But I'm now very happy to see that a couple of the "group out to get him" were recently banned themselves. Now Mfo's whining about how unfair it was! You're next buddy boy. What goes around, comes around! Now BobH is highly biased against this forum and what it represents. And I'm here instead to enjoy all the good that this forum offers by the sharing of the love of lasers by its more rational, nonjudgemental and tolerant members. Many of those members spoke up and sent emails in Bob's defense, and he holds them in high regard. He wants me to extend his heartfelt thanks to them.

So there's the BobH situation in a nutshell. Too bad the Kangaroo Court didn't get to know him before they started drumming him out of the forum. He's a respected member of a number of other professional forums, despite the politically incorrect way he sometimes states his opinions, and you'll not find anyone more interested in lasers than him. All that's left of him here now is the following link describing him and his laser collecting hobby.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f54/celebrity-amongst-us-50619.html

daguin

If Bob wants to speak for himself, he is, apparently, welcome to.

This discussion has been done and over-done

Closing thread

Peace,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.