Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A little trick to lens cleaning

I have found that by wrapping a Q-Tip in teflon tape, will remove any and all dust particles.

I often use a Q-tip, lightly soaked in 99%isopropyl alcohol. This is great for removing smudges and large dust particles. However, it always seems to leave small dust particles and fibers behind. That sometimes make the lens look worse then it did before.

By warping a q-tip in teflon tape and going over the lens again. It seems to remove all the left over dust and any water spots left over by alcohol.
I just did this to all 5 of my glass lenses. They all look brand new. Even when unfocussed to a large flood beam, their is no spots or marks.

I would only recommend doing this with a glass lens and use very little pressure.

Hmm im a bit worried... would it be safe on a CNI pen laser? it is my spoiled child lol and i would be super sad if i were to hurt the lens.
Thanks
DRD

the q tip might leave tiny fibers and the rubbing alcohol might bring the ar coating of.

I thought I read somewhere in here that alcohol wont remove the ar coating. I could be wrong though.

Alcohol will not remove any optical coatings.
I think I remember a thread about this also.

As for the teflon tape trick... seems interesting. I use compressed air and a q-tip. 99% of the time compressed air alone removes all dust.

Alcohol will not remove any optical coatings.
I think I remember a thread about this also.

As for the teflon tape trick... seems interesting. I use compressed air and a q-tip. 99% of the time compressed air alone removes all dust.

Thats what i normally do. i use the air to get the big stuff off, then if its still dirty, i cover the end of a Q-Tip in micro-fiber cloth and VERY lightley brush the lens :) i bought a lens pen, but it is the brush style, and is useless :/