Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A few random pics

Hmmm

Amnizu said:
If I point my laser at my DL goggles for long enough, I can see a melty-shifty pattern on the wall, like you get when you melt plastic with a laser. So some goggles definitely absorb light.

I would not trust those goggles after the lens has been heated in that fashion. The area you "melted" is most likely no longer within spec or capable of protecting you anymore. I am not sure they were doing a good job before then, but I would have trouble trusting them after any "melting" seemed to be visible on a wall after shining a laser through them

SN

Amnizu

SuperNova said:
Hmmm

[quote author=Amnizu link=1205792268/15#15 date=1205812052]If I point my laser at my DL goggles for long enough, I can see a melty-shifty pattern on the wall, like you get when you melt plastic with a laser. So some goggles definitely absorb light.

I would not trust those goggles after the lens has been heated in that fashion. The area you "melted" is most likely no longer within spec or capable of protecting you anymore. I am not sure they were doing a good job before then, but I would have trouble trusting them after any "melting" seemed to be visible on a wall after shining a laser through them

SN[/quote]

We're talking about periods of a second or less. I didn't do it for longer than that for the reasons you mentioned. I've already got a couple retinal burns from green lasers, I really don't desire or need any more.

Amnizu

cbrian4 said:
Yikes how did you get those burns?

One of them was my fault, I was playing with my WL 35mW from when they told CNI, and accidentally shined it directly in my eye. Not a reflection or anything, straight into my eye. The other time, my friend was being a jackass and shining his CNI WL over my shoulder, unbeknownst to me. He called my name, I turned around and BAM, another burn. I have pictures of my retinas with the burns on them, but I won't derail this topic with those cool pictures andy posted.

wow

a few photos turned into a very popular thread!

the red is my home made 220mw focusable red
the green is a core.

both sets of glasses are from wicked

chido

andy_con said:
both sets of glasses are from wicked

The red sport style goggles from wicked are OD5? It says on their site they're OD2??? :-?

Amnizu

bobobob121 said:
i would very much like to see these "burns" post em

Am I to understand that you're calling into question the validity and authencitity of my claims, here?

Switch

Amnizu said:
[quote author=bobobob121 link=1205792268/15#23 date=1205872043]i would very much like to see these "burns" post em

Am I to understand that you're calling into question the validity and authencitity of my claims, here?[/quote]

I don't think he is. I would like to see those too, not that I have trouble believing , just that I really wanna see how those look like. Btw, I would've beaten the shit out of your friend for being so stupid and careless and for giving me retinal burns.

I bet those glass laser shades don't get screwed by shining a laser through them. ::) Btw I saw many pics of goggles reflecting a beam almost as bright as the original one, so I would've guessed that they didn't absorbed enough to melt.

Oh, maybe start a new thread in "Safety" with those pics? :D

chido said:
[quote author=andy_con link=1205792268/15#22 date=1205843182]both sets of glasses are from wicked

The red sport style goggles from wicked are OD5? It says on their site they're OD2??? :-?
[/quote]

they are from wicked

Amnizu

Switch said:
[quote author=Amnizu link=1205792268/15#25 date=1205873512][quote author=bobobob121 link=1205792268/15#23 date=1205872043]i would very much like to see these "burns" post em

Am I to understand that you're calling into question the validity and authencitity of my claims, here?[/quote]

I don't think he is. I would like to see those too, not that I have trouble believing , just that I really wanna see how those look like. Btw, I would've beaten the shit out of your friend for being so stupid and careless and for giving me retinal burns.

I bet those glass laser shades don't get screwed by shining a laser through them. ::) Btw I saw many pics of goggles reflecting a beam almost as bright as the original one, so I would've guessed that they didn't absorbed enough to melt.

Oh, maybe start a new thread in "Safety" with those pics? :D[/quote]

Done and done. Thread is here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205876163/0#0

chido

andy_con said:
they are from wicked

Yeah, I'm not doubting you, but I noticed their sport style goggles say they're OD2 and yours are OD5, when did you buy them?

Amnizu

Very well, I have 20/20 vision, but my optometrist says the burns will likely never heal. The actual impact on my vision is minimal, I have two small spots where straight lines are 'bent' a little bit when I'm looking really carefully for it, otherwise nothing.