Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A few questions

My first one is about matching drivers, diodes and power supplies(batteries)LOL

When building the electronic components, do you start with the power supply and build forward, or diode and build backwards. And how do you set the voltage and current? For example if you want to build out an xxxx-mw output, you need a diode that will handle that under a certain duty cycle. The driver has to be xxxx-ma capable under x-volts. What im looking for here is how it's formulated, and does it take more energy to achieve the same power at different wavelengths.

I have a TON more questions more toward machining but this is probably enough for now..:D

OK

try our free search feature-- like 'So you want to build a laser.."

see the tutorials by DTR

diodes are more sensititive than most when we talk ESD even tho we have humidity that makes static less here-
Laser diodes CANNOT be used to set current= build a dummy load (another search for you) L diodes CANNOT be power until they are properly 'pressed' and are in an appropreate heat sink

so choose a wavelength
then the power you want
then get and set a driver buck- boost or linier
set mA
short all caps
solder driver to diode using correct pin out ( another search for you)

use worthless diodes for practice pressing
use low cost parts to keep from crying when you fail on the first try.

jumping right into an $$$ build can end badly for newcomers

get a 100mW PHR UV diode= cheap now- and a cool color like a black light on crack
danger danger ONLY looks harmless- will burn wood what would it do to the eyes??

not the one for those wanting to see the beam well for that stick to the greens

BUT you can 'write' on GITD stuff and the glow lasts a longass time

BUT for $10 you can buy 3 -- RG & V all way overspec NONE really 5 mW they are forced to list them that way . free ship takes 20 days
a OK duty/rest cycle for these pen lasers is 60 sec on and 30 off-

VERY few handhelds can run without a rest and if its hot outside - no laser passively cooled can ever cool down below the ambient temp- so- in the snow run it LONG- but when it hot out rest them or lose them.

no lasers should ever be seen as toys

PMs coming bro

Last edited:
Hak pretty much covered that, and regarding machining you can ask me anything.

Hak pretty much covered that, and regarding machining you can ask me anything.

Oh hell yeah-

We have half a dozen+ pro machinists and its very hard to pick a fav but this member is one of our best--

I just wish he lived on our side of the pond-

WE did have a good one in dallas- but MRWILLING has gone awol- and does not reply to PMs-

And since 'Moh' has retired

AND 'Greenmachanic' has 'retired'

there is an opening for you Ghost--

we need to meet before SELEM-

have a safe trip

Len

We have half a dozen+ pro machinists and its very hard to pick a fav but this member is one of our best--

I just wish he lived on our side of the pond-

Thank you Hak!
There's a few machinists, but we all specialize in something I guess. Sinner and Mrcrouse do epic hosts, but not much heatsinks from what I've seen, I do a lot of heatsinks but no hosts (transfered my host designs to Sinner). Nobody infringes on nobody's business, and from my humble point of view, everything's great :)

I also sometimes wish I lived on the other side of the Atlantic.
No such luck.