Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

a few questions about 405 nm diodes

ixfd64

I have a couple of questions about violet lasers diodes. I don't want to start multiple threads, so I'm condensing them into one topic.

1. How common are multi-mode 405 nm diodes nowadays? I was under the impression that violet laser diodes are generally single-mode as that's what optical drives require, but I've seen a few multi-mode diodes elsewhere. For example, Thorlabs sells a 400 mW 404 nm diode that's multi-mode, and Laserglow's Electra Pro series are also multi-mode per the specs. Some of the reviews for high-powered violet lasers also mention a large beam diameter, which suggest they could be multi-mode as well.

2. Per above: if the more powerful 405 nm lasers still use single-mode diodes, then why do they have such large beam diameters? Aren't lasers with shorter wavelengths supposed to have better beam specs?

3. Are high-powered single-mode diodes made exclusively by Blu-Ray drive manufacturers, and if so, are they patented? I looked at some of the online catalogs, and the single-mode 405 nm diodes only go up to 150 mW or so.

Last edited:

1. I can't say I've seen a multi-mode violet before.

2. Beam diameter is chosen by the optics. Specifically, the focal length of the collimating lens.

3. They are purchased from diode manufacturers. Nichia, Osram, and Mitsubishi for example. LG makes plenty of optical drives, but I'm pretty sure they don't make laser diodes. Since there are several companies making laser diodes, I think it is safe to say they are not patented.

a company on ebay sells a multi mode 405. they sell it as a diode only, and an option in a funky module. both are priced the same...

future edit with link. They are no longer available. Also, i couldn't find where it read multi mode, so i must have been seeing things. He claimed they put out just over 1W at 750ma. he had pix on his LPM. but he has lots of other laser stuff. search ebay member junktronix

Michael.

Last edited: