Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8x BR DIODES

a bit of a noob question, Since violet is a less visible wavelength, about how many mW would 405 nm need to be in order for the beam to be visible in a dark or lightly light room?

daguin

a bit of a noob question, Since violet is a less visible wavelength, about how many mW would 405 nm need to be in order for the beam to be visible in a dark or lightly light room?

Different people see it differently AND the conditions of the air (humid, dust, etc) significantly affect the beams visibility. There is no good rule for this.

Peace,
dave

Ah i see, How about your guy's personal experience. about how powerful was your laser when you were able to see the beam? I read a lot on different forums that 50 - 75 mW for green would most definitely be visible at night. can i get a round about number like that?

Im not sure which diode i have but its working with the pot reading 350 mA.. the beam isnt visible.. im not sure if the driver is jsut crappy or anything ealse.

what do you guys think?

Last edited:

jayrob

Most people will see a 100mW PHR beam in the night sky if that is any help...

But like Dave said, some people see it differently.

Personally, I see blu-ray better than red. (the beam) But of course the red dot is much brighter than a blu-ray dot...

oh i see what you mean. the people's eyes are different... im thinking the driver i have is jsut really crappy then.. i put the multimeter to it and it reads .35 amps. but when i hook it up to the diode the dot is kinda bright but not really impressively bright.. it can light matches when tightly focused and burn the match stick but i thought that would just be from the wave length having a greater effect on the material.

@jay.. your pretty close to me im thinking air conditions are pretty similar.

daguin

oh i see what you mean. the people's eyes are different... im thinking the driver i have is jsut really crappy then.. i put the multimeter to it and it reads .35 amps. but when i hook it up to the diode the dot is kinda bright but not really impressively bright.. it can light matches when tightly focused and burn the match stick but i thought that would just be from the wave length having a greater effect on the material.

@jay.. your pretty close to me im thinking air conditions are pretty similar.

My eyes are old. I need at least 300mW to be able to see the beam :(

Peace,
dave

I have an 8x build, I don't have the power or burn time, but I know everything else. If I could get somebody to test it, that'd be great.