Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$8.20 Military Grade Green Laser Pointer 5 mA w/ Batteries

Received my first green laser today, - Military Grade Green Laser Pointer 5 mA w/ Batteries - ordered it on Oct 4th, received it on Oct 8th, free shipping, total cost only $8.20

I ordered it before I found this forum so I was hoping I was getting something that was worth getting.

I was pleasantly surprised, no it won't pop balloons, burn stuff, or show a beam in the daytime, but it is very bright and shows a very visible beam at night outdoors, (somewhat less indoors in low lighting) definitely not bad for just $8.20.

(cell phone camera was not sensitive enough to show beam, but beam is definitely very visible outdoors at night !)

I now am considering getting one powerful enough to show a beam even in the daytime (at least indoors) hopefully a 50mw will show a beam in the daytime.

Last edited:

I remember my first 5mW pointer...which wasn't really that long ago after all...
I recently got a 50mW pointer, it's beam isn't at all visible outside in the daytime, but it is visible inside a room with only a few windows during the day. 50mW won't pop balloons or burn anything if that's what you want. Make sure you get laser safety glasses, even if you don't need them now you will eventually, and there pretty cheap at some sites.

welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:
Thanks,

what about some who say they can pop balloons with their 50mw, perhaps they got ones that were over-spec and/or very focused ? (I'm still learning more about green lasers :)

Here is an interesting Youtube I found online - Green Lasers: What Can Certain mW Do?

Any advice on what 50mws to consider and which ones to avoid ?

I remember my first 5mW pointer...which wasn't really that long ago after all...
I recently got a 50mW pointer, it's beam isn't at all visible outside in the daytime, but it is visible inside a room with only a few windows during the day. 50mW won't pop balloons or burn anything if that's what you want. Make sure you get laser safety glasses, even if you don't need them now you will eventually, and there pretty cheap at some sites.

welcome to the hobby!

Thanks,

what about some who say they can pop balloons with their 50mw, perhaps they got ones that were over-spec and/or very focused ? (I'm still learning more about green lasers :)

Here is an interesting Youtube I found online - Green Lasers: What Can Certain mW Do?

Any advice on what 50mws to consider and which ones to avoid ?

Many things factor into this.
Yes, one may be that it was over-spec, but it's also the color of the balloon, how much it was aired up...a number of different variables. It all just depends on how well the material of the balloon absorbs the light instead of reflecting it.
I had a purple balloon i couldn't get to pop from 6 feet away with my 1W 445nm.
It simple reflected the majority of the light instead of absorbing and popping.
This is the same principle as trying to burn a light skinned person with a high powered red, it's very difficult, while on the other hand it will instantly scorch moles, freckled and darker colored skin.

a 50mW green can burn when used with a magnifying glass....