Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

780nm Ir laser in daylight detection

Roger26

Howdy All.

Newby here.

Does anyone here have any experience in detecting the dot of a 780nm IR laser in daylight when it hits a flat surface, without also getting daylight interefence.

Could a camera module or some sort of optical sensor positioned just in front and facing upwards (or even downwards to reduce daylight glare) pick it up?

Thanks, Roger.

kecked

You need a line filter over a detector designed to detect the wavelength. If you are trying to pick up reflection it will be harder than if you want to directly detect. Also if you can modulate the signal you will be able to detect if from background easier as you are looking for a pattern.

Eidetical

A long baffle tube too, to keep ambient light away, in addition to the notch filter mentioned above.

Last edited:
With the right 780nm power dot, even the human eye sees it fine in daylight, and most camera sensors are over-exposed by it. :)

Even 1064nm rayleigh scatter can be dazzling bright to a human eye (at least my own are overwhelmed).

The radiated area may be destroyed depending on its boiling temps and reflectivity to the wavelength, heat capacity and thermal conductivity.

It seems nuts not to use the natural dip in solar spectra around 755-760nm laser wavelength. This cuts your background signal to noise by around 5-8x.

Last edited:
Yes, of course it is possible.

Is it practical? That depends on the specifics of your application, which you haven't divulged. So the answer remains "yes."

Roger26

Sorry for the long delay. I want to stick an IR into a replica so I can do fast draw practice. I can easily make a red dot version that I can use inside my garage and run it with one of those shooting apps, but I'd rather use something outside instead of being stuck indoors during summer. My prefered spot outside behind my house is relatively shielded by overhanging trees, so direct sun glare is very minimal.

Eidetical

Sounds like an application for the highest powered green laser to me. Why not?

Roger26

IR is my prefered, as having a visible light can create bad habits by too much reliance in walking a shot in, as opposed to correct aim and trigger control.