Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

75, 1500 or 200mw? Which power?

Greetings friends, I have two questions about the selection of laser for an experiment at my university which consists of illuminating with green laser and an aerial lens (to generate a planar beam) a sample of cloudy water. The water will be contained in a 4mm thick transparent acrylic cylindrical container during an exposure of 15 minutes.

Do you think the acrylic evaporates with 200mw? which is the highest power to avoid burning or engraving?

Correction: 150mw, aespherical lens. I forgot to mention that laser beam should have 1.5mm of thickness.

It seems your experiment is dependent on a planar wave and not the power density of the beam. Therefore, you could get by with a larger beam which would lower the power density of the beam. Problem solved. If you are concerned about using acrylic lenses with a 200 mW 532nm green laser it is fine as I have several that are this power and above that use acrylic lenses.

It seems your experiment is dependent on a planar wave and not the power density of the beam. Therefore, you could get by with a larger beam which would lower the power density of the beam. Problem solved. If you are concerned about using acrylic lenses with a 200 mW 532nm green laser it is fine as I have several that are this power and above that use acrylic lenses.

Hi ty for the answer. One quest, do i need a expander beam? I want to record some particle in the water. I think the laser light should have 1.5mm

A 1.5 mm beam is not expanded much, if at all. You could get a 8X beam expander that would expand your 1.5 mm beam to 1.2 cm. You will also reduce your power density by a factor of 8 also.

Since you will be using water in a container, goggles would be a good idea until you know which way the beam is getting reflected off the container's surface. Even a partial reflection of 200 mW would be enough to cause irreparable damage to your retina.

Last edited:

Hi paul,i m a little confused about the first part of your comment. Do you say i need a laser line lens or another type of laser device? I think i forgot to mention that my school s experiment requires a continous laser sheet in cloudy water.

I am looking on aliexpress two lasers:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32609...0_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32609342294&

And

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32774...0_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32774338842&

Both comes with laser line lens but i dont get the differences between them. The diode module laser is more brighter? Which would you suggest me?

Ty for your help.

I'm afraid I don't understand why now you need a line output instead of a beam? I thought you were concerned about a 200 mW 532nm laser causing damage to plastics used in the experiment. That is why I recommended the beam expander and also because it would illuminate more of the water. If you need it to be plane polarized you can use a filter to do that, but it will cut your power output to a degree. Unless you need a line output, I would not use it. Just go with the 200 mW lab laser. I couldn't make out much from your links as the listings were too large for me to view properly.

WE are very interested in your project-- maybe some pics will help us to help you--it would help some if we knew your location. we have the answers ( or know how to find them) but we must understand your needs/questions as I am like Paul kinda lost here.

Few at our forums few ever shop/buy at Aliexpress/madeinchina etc.. first place to shop is here.. from a fellow member-- soon you will have enough posts to place a new thread in the BS&T section-- a WTB (want to buy) thread and hopefully a member ( maybe NOT a brand new member but...any vet) will have what you need.
... I am forum rep for JETLASERS -- one of the two BEST places to buy QUALITY and get great service.. JL and Sanwu both are good choices to shop..

Too many come here and ask--? did I buy the right one? .. its a little late to be asking that..

AixiZ Laser is another great source of laser parts--including a lens that makes a line.
They have great 12vdc mini lab lasers that are dependable and shipped from Houston- I am a rep for AixiZ as well (45 min way from me!! ( am truly blessed)

WE will look forward to seeing how your project works out.. we LOVE pics!!

hak....cheerz!

Why have you chosen that power explicitly? Why have you chosen that lens specifically? Why have you chosen acrylic and why at that thickness? What do you hope to accomplish by pointing green light at dirty water?

We can help you a LOT better if you actually tell us something useful about your project.