Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7 color pocket spiro CLUB

Having problems

I was playing around last night and I couldn't get a good blu-ray beam to come out of the CUBE. It looked like a 10mW funny shaped dot after passing through the cube, it should have been tightly focused and about 120mW.
I ended up chipping the cube trying to allow more light into it (by clearing some metal in the way). I tried to look around for a better one to buy but searching so far has got me no where. All the PBS I found are for combining two lasers of the same wavelength. I don't know much about PBS's, did a bunch of looking but the more I look the more I get confused, so I decided to just post this.
I wouldn't mind paying some money for one that worked great, but a free one is much better. What about my 8X burner? it has a bunch of cubes in it, should i just start shinning my blue ray and different cubes in the sleds i have to find one that works best?

Last edited:

I'm not really 100% sure since I've never combined beams really, but as I understand it PBS cubes will work for any wavelength. They work because of the polarization of the beam, so any polarized light source can be split by them. I think the cubes in sleds are dichroic cubes, which split according to wavelength.

Did you try rotating the module to see if polorisation is the problem?

Regards rog8811

Yeah

Yeah I tried rotating it around, maybe I had a crappy cube or I scratched it or something. I have another PHR coming soon so I will try that along with some other ones I can find in other sleds.

update

After much searching for alternatives and playing around with optics I am not going to be using the PHR sled anymore. Just the turning mirror from the sled that reflects the blu-ray and red.
I bought a dichro from laser-wave that should transmit the blu-ray and reflect the red. So that will replace the cube and should bring my total power loss of the combining optics to 10%~20%. It will make this build more difficult but I think the extra power will be worth it. I can machine any parts I need to hold the dichro, so that wont be a problem.

how's this coming along.

I just bought a GGW and one of sightfx's beautiful 7 color kits today. can't wait to get started on one of these babies!

any tips on the color mixing jayrob. i have a few of susie's 50mW greens and was hoping to use one of them in this project.
I might also be buying a 405 lens from you too.
My plan is to go with these specs and tweek from there to get color mixed correctly
GGW~190mA~170mW(acrylic)
LOC~400mA~250mW(acrylic)
susie 50mW green

Looking at your topic it seems to be about the same settings you are running.
Have you tried any of susie's 80~100mW modules in this setup, i imagine it probably is too much to compete with the others.

jayrob

That's very close to the same settings that I used... I have my settings and the power measured per laser (with lens used) after sled optics listed in the thread that I linked above. :rolleyes:

Your off to a really great project!
Jay