Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7.3W 450nm NUBM44-V2 Maglite Build

MurphyMurph

Hey guys, here is another project I completed this summer. This is something I've been wanting to build since the 44-V2s became available.
I've been holding off on posting this until I could get some decent night shots, and we have finally had a solid week of crystal-clear night skies!
The host is a 2 D-Cell LED Maglite.

01 Maglite Build 2-D.jpg

Figuring out how to disassemble the Maglite was an absolute nightmare, but I finally did figure it out.
To make room for the driver and its heatsink, I cut off part of the 'switch cylinder' and soldered my wires for + & - .
I used the spring for the original LED to replace the one in the tail-cap and used conductive epoxy to hold it in place.
A piece of scotchbrite on the tip of a dremel sanding bit was used to expose the aluminum for ground.
And as for the battery spacers, I tediously wrapped duct tape around the outer diameter of 2x 21700s until they
matched the inside diameter of the Maglite body, making removable DIY battery spacers.

002 Internals Resized LF.jpg

I machined and powdercoated some beefy heatsinks.

05 Heatsink.jpg

06 Heatsink.jpg

Then used Arctic Alumina to fix the driver to a small 22mm heatsink ( I think made for Raspberry Pi ).
As a temporary solution, this is held in place using thermal tape.

03 Driver Heatsink.jpg

Below are shots of the finished build.

07 Finished Build.jpg

07.1 Finished Build.jpg

Here is another Maglite for size comparison. The reason that I made the heatsink so big was mainly for runtime, I wanted something that could easily do 45 seconds on and dissipate heat efficiently. Also, I wanted the build to still sort of resemble the original Maglite look.

08 Comparison.jpg

Using an ACS5500BU Buck driver that I set to 5A, and using a G-8 Lens, the meter settled at 7.315W
To be honest, starting out many years ago with just a 125mW Wicked Laser, I never actually imagined that I would have a handheld this insane!!

09 LPM.jpg

Beamshots will follow below.

MurphyMurph

Here is my current setup for taking pictures with this beast. Yes, that is a microphone stand that is holding the huge Maglite build ;). None of my C-Clamps were big enough and I didn’t trust my other tripods to support its weight. Also, a Sanwu 3X BE was used to tame the divergence of the NUBM44-V2.

09.5 Mic Stand Rig.jpg

Here is the 450nm NUBM44-V2 by itself.

10 Nightshot.JPG

Here it is above a 3.4W 465nm NUBM07.

10.5 Nightshot with 465nm 3.4W NUBM07.JPG

For the following pics, starting at the top is as follows,
450nm 7.3W NUBM44-V2
445nm 2.5W NDB7875
465nm 3.4W NUBM07

11 Nightshot with 445 NDB7875 465 NUBM07.JPG

13 Nightshot 445 NDB7875 465 NUBM07.JPG

14 Nightshot.JPG

15 Nightshot.JPG

This last one was taken using a warmer white balance.

16 Nightshot.jpg

Awesome. I just started looking into these diodes, and I appreciate the comparison between the other lasers. I might have to consider doing a similar build :cool:

BillClinton1

I did mine with copper. Haven't tried 100 percent duty cycle, but it takes 2 minute cycles. It gets very warm after 2 minutes, and yes, I'm probably reducing the lifespan running at 4.5 amps, but well worth it. Sets fire to cardboard instantly, it will burn holes in my trash can from 10 feet or more. I haven't tried a car tire yet, maybe this evening I will give it a shot. If you haven't yet built one I'd recommend doing so. Absolute insanity in your hands.

Attachments

• received_300092141123686.jpeg
    received_300092141123686.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 11
  • received_1283012418721216.jpeg
    received_1283012418721216.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13
  • received_810537686396200.jpeg
    received_810537686396200.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 13
  • received_2810043335931451.jpeg
    received_2810043335931451.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 14

MurphyMurph

I did mine with copper. Haven't tried 100 percent duty cycle, but it takes 2 minute cycles. It gets very warm after 2 minutes, and yes, I'm probably reducing the lifespan running at 4.5 amps, but well worth it. Sets fire to cardboard instantly, it will burn holes in my trash can from 10 feet or more. I haven't tried a car tire yet, maybe this evening I will give it a shot. If you haven't yet built one I'd recommend doing so. Absolute insanity in your hands.
Nice! I haven't attempted a cycle of over one minute on + a few minutes off. At 1 minute, the outer diameter of the almost 2.5" heatsink starts to get warm, so I know that the copper module on the inside has to be scorching hot.

I've etched my name in a car tire years ago with an M140, so I wouldn't think it would take this diode long to actually POP a tire, but I really don't want to explain to the AAA guy the reason why he's towing my car, so I haven't tried it. 🤣

But regarding burning stuff, while I'm focusing the lens on the ground and burning the concrete on my garage floor, 'part of me' thinks that noone needs to own a handheld this insane. While 'the other part' wonders if I have enough room to knife edge two of these diodes together in the same host! 😂😂

Hi Bill,
Your 12mm module needs to be set flush in the main copper heat sink to absorb the wasted het of the diode. The way you have it will shorten the diodes life fast. And a little Arctic Alumina thermal compound wouldn't hurt either.
Rich:)

BillClinton1

Thanks to DTR for the diode and barnett_unlimited for the SXD driver!!! And my buddy Mike Villanueva who donated the host. Didn't try the car tire tonight but did test it on a hotdog. Downright horrific results. Be safe and smart with yours. Fire is a REAL risk with these diodes.