Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7.1 Sound Card

Lase

It's an Inspiron 620, 3.3 Ghz with 4GB of RAM.

In Win 7, I try to run CM6206, it asks for a USB multi Channel audio device so
I plug in my Ishow box but CM can't see it.
In XP it can't find hardware.
HMike

My OLD DELL laptop runs Ishow with no problem. This new POS cant find its own A$$.

Inspiron 620 has Integrated 5.1 not 7.1.
USB 7.1 SoundCard for Inspiron 620

Although I may be looking at the wrong one... I can't seem to find it available on Dells website

Lase

Last edited:

Lase ----
So I'm guessing here............ This connects to my POS and outputs USB 7.1 to my DAC/Driver boxes? Why not a small internal card?
HMike
I need to make my computer output 7.1 USB to my DAC/Projo driver boxes.
Will this little thing for ~$3.00 do that?

Last edited:

Lase

Lase ----
So I'm guessing here............ This connects to my POS and outputs USB 7.1 to my DAC/Driver boxes? Why not a small internal card?
HMike
I need to make my computer output 7.1 USB to my DAC/Projo driver boxes.
Will this little thing for ~$3.00 do that?

I'm not very informed on DACs. This device creates virtual 7.1 environment for headphones/speakers. How does your DAC connect to the laptop?

When it comes to laptops, internal add-ons just don't exist. They're too hard to install. Externals are your best bet.

Lase

No, that dongle won't work. That outputs either optical or analog sound. Also your computer's internal sound card is no good for your DAC unless you want to do some soldering on your motherboard which I highly doubt.

Let's go back to basics:

Your DAC is, I assume, a USB sound-card-based DAC. It's probably a CMedia-chip-based device. You don't send "USB 7.1" to this card/DAC, the external USB device is the sound card. USB sound cards work by plugging them into your computer, where they show up as a new sound device capable of using 7.1 surround sound. These sound signals are converted into electrical waveforms on the sound card, which we use for laser shows. If the card is not detected as a sound card, it must have a driver problem.

First things to try:

Plug your USB sound-card-based DAC into the computer, and see if your computer recognizes it. It should say it found a new device and is installing it. Another thing to do is check if your sound-card is recognized by the system. Look at this tutorial to see how to find it in the Device Manager. Look at this guide I made for one of those DACs to update your drivers as well.

For that iShow thing, I don't know how it works. I hear they suck as well. The above is for homebrew USB sound card DACs.

Last edited: