Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x 8x 12x What's the difference???

When you look at the specs for this DVD burner (for example):

WRITE Speed
DVD+R 8X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 8X
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 24X
CD-RW 16X
DVD+R DL 6X
DVD-R DL 6X
DVD-RAM 5X
READ Speed
DVD-ROM 8X
CD-ROM 24X

straight from newegg.com

what makes a laser a 6x, 12x etc... when you extract it from the case? Also, what does that mean? does it mean it is 6 times more powerful than something?

i couldn't find a thread on this topic yet...

point me to it if it's out there... but if it's not on LPF, then this'll be the first...

D

Deleted member 8382

this could lead to some misunderstandings, but considering that using a 8x DVD would be worthless, as long as the numbers are under 16~ we're talking about bluray builds and when the number is about 20x or near that we're talking about DVD builds.

Mainly you won't hear anything else than this->

PHR->low HD DVD. it's like a 2x blu-ray
GGW/SF-AW210/6x->high bluray
8x->very high bluray
12->rarest and highest bluray writers

--------

22x/LOC/LPC-815->high red from DVD writer

The Xx nomenclature means how many times faster can the diode write compared to the first generation diodes of it's category. This is usually has a close relation with the diode power, but it's not only this. Better optics etc can also increase a writer speed without changing the diode, so it's not a linear relation.

I already made you part of your homework. Go ahead and to the rest yourself. The search button will help ;)

Yours,
Albert

LOC doesn't neccessarily mean it's a red DVD burner diode though, it just refers to the type of can it has.

D

Deleted member 8382

Mainly you won't hear anything else than this

And GGW can also be a 4x, and so on, but how many times have you seen a LOC that is not from the LPC sled? Neither have I :crackup:

I AM CALLING HACKS.
PHR->low HD DVD. it's like a 2x blu-ray
GGW/SF-AW210/6x->high bluray
8x->very high bluray
12->rarest and highest bluray writers

Where the hell is 10x lol D:

jwc

The SF-AW isn't quite the same as the GGW. People have found that it doesn't hold up as well.

10x was completely skipped by drive manufacturers. They went straight from 8x to 12x. Supposedly, the biggest improvement was to decrease disc vibration, which suggests that the diode may not be different. I haven't been following daguin/IgorT's work recently, so you should check the Blu-Ray section of the forum for further information.

D

Deleted member 8382

o.0?

I remember you saying someone else that the GGW sled being sold somewhere was not a 6x GGW but a 4x GGW. Did I dream it?

daguin

o.0?

I remember you saying someone else that the GGW sled being sold somewhere was not a 6x GGW but a 4x GGW. Did I dream it?

It was probably that a sled someone was "selling as" a 6x wasn't a 6X. They were probably actually selling GBW sleds, but calling them GGW sleds. So I may have posted that the sled was not a 6X but a 4X.

If I also called it a GGW, that would have been my mistake. GGW's are 6X. GBW's are 4X

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
It was probably that a sled someone was "selling as" a 6x wasn't a 6X. They were probably actually selling GBW sleds, but calling them GGW sleds. So I may have posted that the sled was not a 6X but a 4X.

If I also called it a GGW, that would have been my mistake. GGW's are 6X. GBW's are 4X

Peace,
dave

Actually in this case both of you are correct.

The 4X is indeed the GBW-H10N as daguin has said. However, it seems that LG itself has labelled their 4X drive as both the GBW and GGW...? The GGW seems to be the successor of the GBW.

Some quick digging turned this up:

"From the front, the GGW-H10N looks a lot like LG's previous Blu-ray Disc writer, the GBW-H10N. While different in color, the two drives share the same bezel design and have many of the same logos. Along with the large Super Multi Blue, Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD-ROM logos, you can see a few showing support for DVD+R DL, DVD-R/RW and Ultra Speed CD-RW me"

http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/lg-g...lu-ray-disc-rewriter-hd-dvd-rom/Features.html

Best Regards,
brtaman

Last edited:

daguin

Actually in this case both of you are correct.
The 4X is indeed the GBW-H10N as daguin has said. However, it seems that LG itself has labelled their 4X drive as both the GBW and GGW...? The GGW seems to be the successor of the GBW.
Some quick digging turned this up:
"From the front, the GGW-H10N looks a lot like LG's previous Blu-ray Disc writer, the GBW-H10N. While different in color, the two drives share the same bezel design and have many of the same logos. Along with the large Super Multi Blue, Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD-ROM logos, you can see a few showing support for DVD+R DL, DVD-R/RW and Ultra Speed CD-RW me"
CDRLabs.com - Features | LG GGW-H10N Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc ReWriter & HD DVD-ROM | Reviews
Best Regards,
brtaman

Well that's going to screw things up a bit. However, when dealing with sleds, we should still be able to tell them apart easily. The only challenge now would be for someone to buy one of these "new" GGW-H10's and look at the sled/diode.

Peace,
dave

Yeah, it really does make things that much more confusing for the newcomer.

We will have to perhaps change the GGW marking to H20L or combine both to avoid confusion? Though the 4x diodes aren't really all that popular atm.

I remember there being talk of a LaserWiki a while back, did anything come from that? I imagine that a nicely done spreadsheet with all usable drives containing "specs", current recommendations etc. would go a great way to clearing all new-comers confusion regarding laser diode markings?