Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

655nm labby help.

Well,

After a 2 week wait I finally got my 100mW 655 labby which amazingly ended up with a power stability of 1.51% and peaked at 160mW, great right?

NO, it's not working right. I made sure to set it up correctly, but there is something strange which happened while I was setting it up. As the PSU was running, I read in the directions you can take off the interlock(which is located in the back) to stop the laser. Well I did that thinking it would make it run and the PSU still ran but grey smoke starting coming out of it? :wtf: I stopped it of course and after setting everything up, making sure the interlock was in im greeted by the site of a PSU which the LED's don't switch color depending on the laser operation but the worst thing is...

The labby dosen't even output near 100mW, hell my 3mW 520 easily outshines it!!!

What do you think happened? Just because someone takes the interlock off shouldn't make grey smoke come out and ugh.... below are some pictures showing how the system is working now. I guess I'll need a replacement PSU since this one looks fried? The head seems to be working right althought it did get quite hot after only a few minutes of running. :mad: Kinda pissed off right now.

10885-img-1715.jpg

10886-img-1714.jpg

-Alex

Last edited:

APEX1

sorry to hear its not working Alex.. Did you email cni?

sorry to hear its not working Alex.. Did you email cni?

Thanks for your concern noob. I just sent CNI an email but they won't reply until Sunday(Monday for them) so currently trying to diagnose the problem on my end.

This is how it happened:

I brought the PSU & laser head downstairs and plugged them into the wall outlet. I was reading the directions and saw it mentioned about a interlock on the back which can be pulled to stop the laser from operating. I pulled it, and a few seconds later grey smoke came out from the PSU which I immediately turned off. Since then, the PSU LED lights on(only the red one) and the fan is running. The head outputs a barely visible 655 dot.'

My original thought was the driver got hit with too much power from the wall outlet but didn't make sense as a previous member on here had a similar model which worked when plugged into the wall.

Any other ideas?

-Alex

Last edited:

APEX1

Not off the top of my head! It sounds like it was hit with a power surge like you said in all honesty! Id say take it apart to see the internals but cni glues everything shut! They'll make it right if something is wrong. I'm going through something similar with that 520 build I was telling you about! I really never liked wall plugs for these as it is, I run my labby off a Homemade AC power supply

Last edited:
Not off the top of my head! It sounds like it was hit with a power surge like you said in all honesty! Id say take it apart to see the internals but cni glues everything shut! They'll make it right if something is wrong. I'm going through something similar with that 520 build I was telling you about! I really never liked wall plugs for these as it is, I run my labby off a Homemade AC power supply

Interesting. That dosen't make sense though, this member had his 532 labby run off a wall outlet:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-cni-mgl-iii-400-lab-laser-65052.html

If this is indeed the case, how can I run the next PSU without causing a surge?

-Alex

Last edited:

APEX1

The smoke is whats making me think that.. I'm not a pro with labby's perhaps a vet could help better with this. I would have to have it sitting in front of me and even then its iffy. Like I said mine have their own power supply!

Last edited:
aw man!!! that really sucks. i think CNI will definitely help, but man thats "bummer" (understatement of the century).

The smoke is whats making me think that.. I'm not a pro with labby's perhaps a vet could help better with this. I would have to have it sitting in front of me and even then its iffy. Like I said mine have their own power supply!

Not a problem, I appreciate the help noob! Hopefully it is just a new driver being needed and not something more serious :)

@micheal

It does indeed! Did you have any idea what it might be?

-Alex

Last edited:
Well I have no experience with labbys (yet), so I'll just send my condolences, and hopefully CNI will get you squared away. Hang in there bud! :wave:

Did you plug the head to the PSU first or the PSU to the outlet first?
Did it work properly before you pulled the interlock?
What's your mains voltage? Is the PSU proper for it?

BTW: stop running it until you understand what happened.

Last edited:
Did you plug the head to the PSU first or the PSU to the outlet first?
Did it work properly before you pulled the interlock?
What's your mains voltage? Is the PSU proper for it?

BTW: stop running it until you understand what happened.

I plugged the PSU to the outlet first. Talked with ultimatekaiser and he said that's what most likely did it, if the head isn't connected it creates a short in the system.

I've stopped running it until a new PSU arrives, yes :)

-Alex

Encap

You bought it from Dragon Lasers, right? It is not a DPSS laser it is a diode in a non-portable host with separate power supply. Simply return it for exchange and get a replacement.
It is a new unused unit with a 1 year warranty, right? It is not a used unit bought on an "as is" no refund basis from some guy on an internet auction web site, right?
It is not working correctly for whatever reasons---it is defective and you are not happy or satisfied with it--right?
Don't waste the time to sweat the details of what is wrong or why. You are not qualified to do anything about it anyway and if you mess with it you will void the warranty.

Follow Dragon Lasers Warranty procedures, pack it up and ship it back --return it as defeective or for whatever reasons not working correctly and request it be exchanged for another example/a replacement unit

Below is from the Dragon LAsers web site:
"Warranty Information
Dragon Lasers have the highest quality products online. We use only the best quality components when manufacturing our products to ensure they are of the highest quality. We do not cut corners and reduce cost by using cheap components.

Satisfaction Guarantee
Dragon Lasers are pleased to offer a 7 day satisfaction guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your product, you may return it within 7 days of receipt for a full refund minus shipping cost. Absolutely no questions asked!

Warranty
The warranty period for every product is listed in that products website page. If there is any problem with your product during the warranty period, you can send it back to us and we will replace it with a new one for free. You are responsible for shipping cost.
We offer customers to replace defective products with new products. If a replacement product is not available, we can repair the customers defective product free charge.

RMA Code
Before returning any product, you must first contact us for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). You will be sent an RMA code, product return address and return shipping instructions. No returns will be accepted with out an RMA."

Last edited: