Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

638nm laser divergence issue

638nm laser divergence issue

• i actually like the line/dot

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • it bugs me a little but can deal with it

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • it is pretty bad but i can would still get one

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • i cant stand it i can only have a single mode one

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • i have never seen 638nm

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Laik

I think i am going to run mine at 650mA so it will be 638nm.

I think i am going to run mine at 650mA so it will be 638nm.

Sounds great! It's never a bad idea to run at lower currents. Longer diode life and keeping that wavelength where you want it. :D

Post a picture of it in the forums somewhere, there's never enough reds to go around. :beer:

Laik

Still saving up :( Almost there though :D I will post pics when i'm done, it will be in a kryton groove :D

I dont mind it and you can actually rotate the laser to get the slow axis and then the beam actually looks quite narrow! ;) In the poll above, you could have also added; "I have lazeerers 635 correction optic and so can deal with it :D" :beer:

Edit: I did have a nice 635 mits 500 doing 900 mW in a C6, but blew the diode changing out the driver for an AMC based one. I didnt know at the time that the AMC was continuous positive and must have shorted it with the case, direct driving it for a bright but brief second...:(

Last edited:

Laik

Sorry to hear that... but you did learn something which is important. Thanks for telling me though, I didn't know it was continuous positive.

No worries. Im also in the process of making a Kryton build.:) Have already rebuilt the switch, scratched off all the anodising in the relevant places installed the new AMC driver at 1520 mA, installed lazeerers lens;), wired it all up and tested it on a test load. Now I just need to order the diode. After loosing my last one Im still procrastinating...:p

Last edited:

Laik

I just removed the anodizing on my kryton with oven cleaner. I hope you are using a G2 lens with that build as well, it would be a shame to push it so hard and not get the full potential of it. Oh and enjoy your 650nm kryton :p

Haha true I know it will shift, but hopefully it will be a 1 Wer or more...;) Ill measure with my G2, but my every day lens will be Lazeerers 635 correction optic, which signifcantly improves the beam for a 50 mW loss over a 3 element. :beer:

sigh, people who have never even seen a 1w 635 or 650, yet giving their opinion on how much the wavelength shifts.

LOL it wont be 650 at 1W. I cant seem to find them right now but smeerworst posted some great comparison pics of his 1W 638 and 1W 650. There is definitely a difference. And no the 650 wont have shifted much, laserbtb/skylaser will not push there lasers that hard. I also have a PL650 1W and a 1W 638, they are very different wavelengths.

The spec sheet shows absolute max and min, it is not a guarantee of what will happen, typical is the average. Every diode is unique, and heat plays a big part, if you have good heatsinking, wavelength shift will minimal until late in duty cycle.

Last edited:
sigh, people who have never even seen a 1w 635 or 650, yet giving their opinion on how much the wavelength shifts.

LOL it wont be 650 at 1W. I cant seem to find them right now but smeerworst posted some great comparison pics of his 1W 638 and 1W 650. There is definitely a difference. And no the 650 wont have shifted much, laserbtb/skylaser will not push there lasers that hard. I also have a PL650 1W and a 1W 638, they are very different wavelengths.

The spec sheet shows absolute max and min, it is not a guarantee of what will happen, typical is the average. Every diode is unique, and heat plays a big part, if you have good heatsinking, wavelength shift will minimal until late in duty cycle.

I second that

People?:thinking: I think he was being sarcastic....:rolleyes: Obviously it will shift if I run it at 1.5 A and it most definitely wont be 635 nm...;) BTW I had a 920 mW red before I killed it, so yes Ive pretty much seen 1 W. :beer:

Edit: IIRC its will probably be around 645 nm, but Ill have to check.

Last edited:
People?:thinking: I think he was being sarcastic....:rolleyes: Obviously it will shift if I run it at 1.5 A and it most definitely wont be 635 nm...;) BTW I had a 920 mW red before I killed it, so yes Ive pretty much seen 1 W. :beer:

I was serious but I was not referencing you grainde, I saw that you have had one.
I was referencing Laik and just4fun, who adamantly think it will shift to 650nm if its anywhere near 1w, when they have never owned a high power 638. I have seen with my own eyes, and from other members that this is not the case.

I am well aware it will shift wavelength, my argument is that it will not shift all the way to 650, and it will be a big enough difference from 650 that you can easily tell the difference visually.

Last edited:
Yeah not to worry, but I still think it was said in jest.;)

Heres a link to the spec sheet they say 644 nm max, but they also say max 800 mA current! ;) :beer:

I was serious but I was not referencing you grainde, I saw that you have had one.
I was referencing Laik and just4fun, who adamantly think it will shift to 650nm if its anywhere near 1w, when they have never owned a high power 638. I have seen with my own eyes, and from other members that this is not the case.

I am well aware it will shift wavelength, my argument is that it will not shift all the way to 650, and it will be a big enough difference from 650 that you can easily tell the difference visually.

Ah, I see the problem here. Allow me to clarify please: I'm not adamantly saying that they will be pushed so far as 650nm, nor do I say that they will look the same. I'm saying that if you run 1A of current through something that's rated to be at 644nm when its at 800mA, you may reach higher wavelengths. I'm not saying that its a bad deal, or the laser isn't cool/won't be different than a 650nm. I'm just letting him know, that if he does in fact push 1A through that diode, it's probably not going to stay at 638nm for very long even with a decent amount of heat sinking. I'm not trying to argue with you, and I apologize now if that's how it sounded to you. I'm just trying to provide firelaser with all of the information possible so he can make an informed decision.

And, on a side note, I'd like to share with you the fact that I have seen a 800mW 638nm laser next to a 120mW 638nm laser using the Opnext single mode diode that DTR sells side by side. I don't OWN them, no, but the guy who got me into lasers does, and yes, I have seen them. They were very similar, but there was a distinct (albeit small) difference. This difference was a good deal more noticeable on camera (as are most wavelength differences). Again, I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else, I'm just trying to make sure firelaser has all of the information he needs. Cheers. :beer: