Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

60W: Safety glasses and cardboard

Here are two more for the burning fans.

The safety glasses were ANSI approved, made of polycarbonate from the smell of it, and had a thickness of 2.2mm. First burn is focused with about 2 seconds to penetration, followed by unfocused with about 16 seconds to penetration. If you can't tell you're being hit by your laser in 16 seconds, you deserve to catch fire anyway. So I'd call these quite safe.

Addendum: No cows were harmed in the making of this video.

Attachments

• Glasses.wmv
    2 MB · Views: 182

And the cardboard. Still open for suggestions :p

Attachments

• Cardboard.wmv
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Nice. I like the little black plastic floaties from the goggles. However when I get those from burning things they get all over my arms and they smear. It's annoying and smells bad.
I would be hesitant to do that in my house.

I'd like to see it cut through an Aluminum can. Or roast a marshmallow.

Benm

Now try to use this laser to motivate a cat to move :)

Or light a cigarette - the challenge probably is not cutting in half before you can take a puff ;)

I wouldn't mind that, but PETA would confiscate my laser. So that's a no go. Aluminum is reflective. A marshmallow I've done before. As long as you don't mind the broiled kind, I can do that, too. Golden brown just flat out isn't achievable. :-/

Cyparagon said:
I wouldn't mind that, but PETA would confiscate my laser. So that's a no go. Aluminum is reflective. A marshmallow I've done before. As long as you don't mind the broiled kind, I can do that, too. Golden brown just flat out isn't achievable. :-/

Forum members would cut off your balls for that cat thing...
it was just a cockroach!

You can try making toast. Or melting chocolate bunnies. Or "scaring away" birds.

C

Chris.

Haha... NVM scaring them, you would be EATING them after that thing hit. ;D

I don't think anything would be edible after 60W of coherent light warms it up. Unless you like to eat ashes.

Be nice to cats! :mad:

That said, I'd still love to see what that thing does to a hunk of ham, or a good pot roast! I wonder how long it will be before solid state technology lets us do that with a fat LD and a car battery or something! :)

D

Benm

RA_pierce said:
I don't think anything would be edible after 60W of coherent light warms it up. Unless you like to eat ashes.

Coherency really does not matter for this application, and blasting food with infared light is -exactly- how a grill works.

Obviously power density in the focal point of this laser is way too large to grill something edible, but if you operate it outside of the focal point you could easily grill a piece of meat to edible standards.

It would be the most expensive method of roasting a single piece of satay meat, but would work just fine ;)

Hey ;D i suggesteed seeing how saftey glasses hold up to it, guess there not really that safe as they say ;D Then again they dont say they protect from 60w of laser on the box either :eek:

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Funny you should ask, I just finished that one.

RA_pierce said:

As is the case with many marshmallow lovers.