Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mW laser near a airport

landofkammy

Im around 2 and a half miles away from a International airport in a big neighbourhood and as a astrophotographer I have to point it north to polar align my star tracker at about 35 degrees up and the airport is around north north east the green laser line will be about a 1/3 of a mile away from the start of the runway. I can use a flight tracker app to check if any plane is taking off or landing before using it for maybe 2-8 minutes a night. Im getting the laser on in a couple days so am I able to do so or should I not even consider it?

Last edited:

Uh
Im around 2 and a half miles away from a International airport in a big neighbourhood and as a astrophotographer I have to point it north to polar align my star tracker at about 35 degrees up and the airport is around north north east the green laser line will be about a 1/3 of a mile away from the start of the runway. I can use a flight tracker app to check if any plane is taking off or landing before using it for maybe 2-8 minutes a night. Im getting the laser on in a couple days so am I able to do so or should I not even consider it?

landofkammy

Thanks I checked some other articles too. Im not going to do that thanks for the that resource!

Lots of countries-- lots of laws--BUT until you give up your location we cannot help much with this.
in USA there is a 10 mile circle around every aitport-heli-pad etc --AND as far as I know its not allowed even if you are not pointing around ANY aircraft.. Most pilots are not fond of lasers & they are encouraged to report ANY laser sightings- not just those aimed at them. It the star pointingis done quickly I doubt you will get reported (I hope).

During landing and take-off pilots are at the worst risk. Do that near an airport we will be reading about you here:
Laserpointersafety.com
AND LPS may post your mug-shot. (ouch)
You can spend all day reading there and still not see everything LPS has. And new things updated often.
Most 'reports' that end up with an arrest are lasing medivac and police choppers--they will pinpoint you and the PO-PO will be knocking on your door PDQ. It used to be a misdomeaner --then became a felony THEN a Federal Offence ( but very few end up there--most cases are not handled in Federal
Court BUT if you get 5 years (Fed.)you will serve every day--no early release for good behaviour etc.
Most are never allowed to handle a laser for life.
Many times lasers at runways are handled as terrorist attack. see where I an going here??

last almost EVERY pen-pointer in 532 green is WAY more than just 5 mW.-- (the ones that use 2 pcs aaa batts)
I have a true 5mW (4.99mW on every meter)--it cost $140 and is used to calibrate meters etc.

Yours could be between 15 mW and 75mW..

BTW-- we really like to read 'intros' from new members- AND if you put your general location (in the title)you will get 'welcomes' from MANY members including some that may be near-by-- many now have LPMs and will be happy to meter your --no cost. You might get to see lasers that, otherwise, ypuy may never get to see in person.
That can lead to going and enjoying another LEM.

btw warning --- LEMs can be highly addictive -- you may find your self going to more ( I made 5 SELEMs-- a drive of 17hrs) You may come home planning your own LEM-- and josting is hard work but its great to sleep in your own bed.
SELEM has grown form a single day or two and the last one was 5 or 6 days.
So you may have to pay bigger share just to make it happen-- no worries- they grow fast and the expenses for the 'host' will be less for the LEMs that clome after.. " rent a venue and THEY will come'' mine (STEXLEM) was a $ 150 warehouse for just one day/night BUT I had the keys for 4 days so..

welcome-- will be watching for your intro-- hak

Last edited:

landofkammy

Lots of countries-- lots of laws--BUT until you give up your location we cannot help much with this.
in USA there is a 10 mile circle around every aitport-heli-pad etc --AND as far as I know its not allowed even if you are not pointing around ANY aircraft.. Most pilots are not fond of lasers & they are encouraged to report ANY laser sightings- not just those aimed at them. It the star pointingis done quickly I doubt you will get reported (I hope).

During landing and take-off pilots are at the worst risk. Do that near an airport we will be reading about you here:
Laserpointersafety.org
AND Mr Murphy will post your mug-shot. (ouch)
You can spend all day reading there and still not see everything LPS has.

Many reporting that end up with an arrest are lasing medivac and police choppers--they will pinpoint you and the PO-PO will be knocking on your door PDQ. It used to be a misdomeaner --then became a felony THEN a Federal Offence
if you get 5 years you will serve every day--no early release for good behaviour etc.
Most are never allowed to handle a laser for life.
Many times lasers at runways are handled as terrorist attack. see where I an going here??

last almost EVERY pen-pointer in 532 green is WAY more than just 5 mW.-- (the ones that use 2 pcs aaa batts)
I have a true 5mW (4.99mW on every meter)--it cost $140 and is used to calibrate meters etc.

Yours could be between 15 mW and 75mW..

BTW-- we really like to read 'intros' from new members- AND if you put your general location (in the title)you will get 'welcomes' from MANY members including some that may be near-by-- many now have LPMs and will be happy to meter your --no cost. You might get to see lasers that, otherwise, ypuy may never get to see in person.
That can lead to going and enjoying another LEM.

btw warning --- LEMs can be highly addictive -- you may find your self going to more ( I made 5 SELEMs-- a drive of 17hrs) You may come home planning your own LEM-- and josting is hard work but its great to sleep in your own bed.
SELEM has grown form a single day or two and the last one was 5 or 6 days.
So you may have to pay bigger share just to make it happen-- no worries- they grow fast and the expenses for the 'host' will be less for the LEMs that clome after.. " rent a venue and THEY will come'' mine (STEXLEM) was a $ 150 warehouse for just one day/night BUT I had the keys for 4 days so..

welcome-- will be watching for your intro-- hak

Yea im in the USA. Thanks for info. Unfortunately i bought a 120$ star tracker with only a laser now I guess i have to buy there 20$ scope. Even if the laser is pointing high up its still a extreme danger right? I should have research this before buying this....

.... as a astrophotographer I have to point it north to polar align my star tracker at about 35 degrees up

I'm also an astrophotographer.
What you're trying to do you can achieve without a laser.
Start by eyeballing your mount to point to Polaris.
Then just attach a simple protractor and plumb-line bob to achieve the 35° inclination and use a compass with your 'true north' to offset for your location.
Keep the compass away from any metal on your mount.

Don't risk using a laser so close to an international airport.

RB

landofkammy

I'm also an astrophotographer.
What you're trying to do you can achieve without a laser.
Start by eyeballing your mount to point to Polaris.
Then just attach a simple protractor and plumb-line bob to achieve the 35° inclination and use a compass with your 'true north' to offset for your location.
Keep the compass away from any metal on your mount.

Don't risk using a laser so close to an international airport.

RB

thanks for the information!! will try this

landofkammy

Thanks very much for saving my butt lol. I just bought a polar scope so I wont need to use a laser! Have wonderful day guys

BlueQ

You got to be careful using even weak laser nearby airports.

On a different note but related to that topic:
There are however exceptions when it comes to pointing lasers at aircraft:
At least in my country judges rule in favor of shooting down drones when they are inside the " low altitude airspace" of your property with whatever means necessary. https://www.wz.de/panorama/urteil-drohne-durfte-in-selbsthilfe-abgeschossen-werden_aid-38788031 - as it's a massive violation of privacy. That drone pilot might as well be a stalker taking photos from above.
So you can basically use a high powered fiber laser to shoot down unmanned aerial vehicle when they are spying on you over your own property.