Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

589nm cni burnt out needs repair can someone help

I bought a nice powerful cni 589nm laser awhile back and it had the lense protector closed when it went on and it smelled of electrical burn and was a bit hot. Cni told me they won't ship to USA anymore. Can someone fix it? And est what price it would cost. I would think it caused the ir ld to burn out possibly wires to board or driver.
Thank you
Trying to get back into lasers after awhile,I missed y'all here
Also cni just emailed saying they can repair but not send back to us address, so that is another option, does anyone know what they typically charge if it is electric ?

Last edited:

Razako

You might need to order a new 589nm module for it. Contact Eforce and ask about it, or send it to Isaac. He can probably fix it for you.

a new module for 589nm that average at 100mW+ is 1500 AUD i can probably get a huge discount...(secret)

Last edited:

diachi

since you said the laser burnt out with the lens protector on so the ir ld and driver are fine.. it might just be the front collimating lens that got damage by the burn't debris.

a new module for 589nm that average at 100mW+ is 1500 AUD i can probably get a huge discount...(secret)

Post wasn't very clear but it sounds to me like it wasleft turned on with the shutter/lens cover closed so OP didn't know that it was running - as such it ended up exceeding the duty cycle and burning out some component. If it was just the lens that was damaged by debris there'd still be light coming out - just not in a nice beam (Although again, OP wasn't too clear on that). If it's a shutter and not just a dust cap of some kind then it's also likely made of metal, so it wouldn't burn.

Perhaps OP could clarify? :)

Razako

Post wasn't very clear but it sounds to me like it wasleft turned on with the shutter/lens cover closed so OP didn't know that it was running - as such it ended up exceeding the duty cycle and burning out some component. If it was just the lens that was damaged by debris there'd still be light coming out - just not in a nice beam (Although again, OP wasn't too clear on that). If it's a shutter and not just a dust cap of some kind then it's also likely made of metal, so it wouldn't burn.

Perhaps OP could clarify? :)
Yeah, that's my take. He left it on with the aperture closed and it burnt up.

diachi

Yeah, that's my take. He left it on with the aperture closed and it burnt up.

Easy enough mistake to make - I've done it plenty of times. Happened just the other weak with the Argon. "Hmmm, I should be getting some output by now, wonder why it isn't working.... Ohh right, the shutter is closed!". :D

yep then it should be repairable if the crystal is still intact and the driver still alive..(otherwise have to get new component to replicate the original driver).

damaged crystal= game over..

those crystals aren't going to be damaged likely at that level of power. The coatings maybe, but not the crystals themselves. nowhere near the power density needed for that. its going to be something electronic. What do you really know about DPSS? because you continually sound like very noobish when it comes to it. You're always trying to sound good with no proof. stop. It'd be more realistic to test the driver on a dummy, and then replace the diode if necessary. Either the diode burned up, or the driver did. both are a real possibility as they get pretty toasty if run more than about 45 seconds. They're pretty much burning hot at that point. what model are we talking about? a spartan? or a PGL-C? if the driver is dead, then you're possibly out of luck, I don't have many spare parts left for those. if it needs a new diode, I can replace that fairly easily. I can also replace the Zener diodes on the PGL-Cs. It sounds like a spartan though from your description of the screw on aperture.

those crystals aren't going to be damaged likely at that level of power. The coatings maybe, but not the crystals themselves. nowhere near the power density needed for that. its going to be something electronic. What do you really know about DPSS? because you continually sound like very noobish when it comes to it. You're always trying to sound good with no proof. stop. It'd be more realistic to test the driver on a dummy, and then replace the diode if necessary. Either the diode burned up, or the driver did. both are a real possibility as they get pretty toasty if run more than about 45 seconds. They're pretty much burning hot at that point. what model are we talking about? a spartan? or a PGL-C? if the driver is dead, then you're possibly out of luck, I don't have many spare parts left for those. if it needs a new diode, I can replace that fairly easily. I can also replace the Zener diodes on the PGL-Cs. It sounds like a spartan though from your description of the screw on aperture.

Yep Kaiser is in US so he'll fix the laser and he has a long history with the yellow wavelength. the show is your's now Kaiser.

Of course i would sound and seem noobist from a pro point of view!!:D

Yep I believe it is a spartan did run 110mw peak! Yes, the metal shutter was covering it, most lasers I have don't have that kind of safety on there or a key. They are more annoying to me then anything and this case costly. I agree prob electronic but I'm afraid to take apart such an expensive laser and can't afford another 1500$
Thanks all I will try and pm a cpl people and see what works out and let y'all know. As always i appreciate this community

Last edited:
You are right I think Spartan is from a different brand. It is a pgl-III-c that was approx 100mw

yh PGL-III-C 80mW(average at 100mW+/peak at 120mW+) are $1500 AUD =
1080 USD - $1132.69 USD or lower due to paypal exchange rate.