Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

589 Spartan =trusted member assistance!

Razako

I have a trial run on its way with a WL nano, let's see how tight our customs really are,

It was shipped with nothing indicating a laser, it was taped up with electrical tape to look like a tube that didn't want to scratch and thrown in a package with a few led flashlight parts, it's a low power blue ray shipped from the US. I would have done more to conceal it but I'm not the sender, I'm not really expecting to receive it so will be waiting a while!
Sounds like a good test. I'm pretty sure there are some foolproof ways of getting a spartan to you, but it's a matter of cost and effort.

Last edited:

I'm sure most of them are caught by xray, or by hand inspection. I know AUS has been getting more and more thorough last i'd heard. the US is starting to get aggressive with it too. The days of handheld lasers are dying down now as more pilots and similar operators complain, and people go waving them around. In fact I think the US is the only country I can think of that even allows pointers of class IIIR, and cops are smug trying to tell me that they can take my pointer away from me sometimes. it drives me nuts, I've had arguments over it before and had to show them the CDRHs before to get them to leave me alone. as long as I'm not purposefully aiming it at people its not dangerous at class IIIR. most places are limiting things to <1mW now. not that I ever advocated carrying high power pointers in public anyway, but its a mylti-faceted problem, where once it was a "you can have it in the confines of your house only" kinda thing, and now its a "nope" before even asking questions from multiple sources regardless of what is written. disappointing - and not everyone has the time and money to learn how to make the good stuff, presuming you can even find parts. most of the time I hate to admit that I can buy a professional laser for cheaper than making it in many cases. and OEM parts-be it modules, diodes, crystals or other stuff are marked up because the company wants a part of whatever you're making. if you're even allowed to buy it at all. Technically individuals aren't supposed to be able to buy parts anymore. it's part of why MG doesn't sell single units anymore really, and when they do they cost a fortune.

Last edited:

Razako

I'm sure most of them are caught by xray, or by hand inspection. I know AUS has been getting more and more thorough last i'd heard. the US is starting to get aggressive with it too. The days of handheld lasers are dying down now as more pilots and similar operators complain, and people go waving them around. In fact I think the US is the only country I can think of that even allows pointers of class IIIR, and cops are smug trying to tell me that they can take my pointer away from me sometimes. it drives me nuts, I've had arguments over it before and had to show them the CDRHs before to get them to leave me alone. as long as I'm not purposefully aiming it at people its not dangerous at class IIIR. most places are limiting things to <1mW now. not that I ever advocated carrying high power pointers in public anyway, but its a mylti-faceted problem, where once it was a "you can have it in the confines of your house only" kinda thing, and now its a "nope" before even asking questions from multiple sources regardless of what is written. disappointing - and not everyone has the time and money to learn how to make the good stuff, presuming you can even find parts. most of the time I hate to admit that I can buy a professional laser for cheaper than making it in many cases. and OEM parts-be it modules, diodes, crystals or other stuff are marked up because the company wants a part of whatever you're making. if you're even allowed to buy it at all. Technically individuals aren't supposed to be able to buy parts anymore. it's part of why MG doesn't sell single units anymore really, and when they do they cost a fortune.
Makes me wonder if there are any 'legit seeming' items which are opaque to X-rays and would conceal lasers well:whistle: Figure them out, and it might be the key to this puzzle.

Last edited:
dunno. If I got something like a lead box that I couldn't see inside a package, I'd be setting it aside... :whistle:

Razako

Yeah, the 'legit seeming' is the hard part. 3 approaches to this problem come to mind for me:
1-The 'hide in plain site' option: which involves just throwing the laser in with a bunch of flashlight parts and such unlabeled, and hoping they don't find it.
2-The 'hide in X-ray opaque object' option. The obvious hard part is finding a legit item to do this with.
3-Hide the laser in something where it won't be obvious even when X-ray scanned. This is why I suggested hiding a laser in something like a computer or other mechanical device. It might show on the scan, but odds are the customs employees would just think it was a part of the device.

I have a trial run on its way with a WL nano, let's see how tight our customs really are,

It was shipped with nothing indicating a laser, it was taped up with electrical tape to look like a tube that didn't want to scratch and thrown in a package with a few led flashlight parts, it's a low power blue ray shipped from the US. I would have done more to conceal it but I'm not the sender, I'm not really expecting to receive it so will be waiting a while!

Thats pretty much what I did with Andrews laser - led parts, switches and effectively disgused the tube/module module. No laser mentioned anywhere....As Andrew stated its probably luck of the draw and this is why I dont ship to Oz. Not trying to be a kill joy, but if the nano does get through it doesnt mean your 589 will. :beer:

Last edited:
The biggest thing with this is that even if you ate the cost of an interception, the trustworthy members would still feel bad about it. And even fewer of us could and would disassemble a Spartan 589. Even fewer of us around here would try to get one into Australia.

So I got a quote on a 30mw 589 module from EForce and I was quoted $850, this is actually what I wanted to start with since I have plans to make a really nice host for it,

Anyway Then Adam gets back to me and said we do sell modules the PGL-H-589 witch is what is in the Spartan but it needs 20 days to build and there is no warranty, he also will gaurentee delivery, So seems I will get what I want after all no need to pay $250 extra to EForce the module shouldn't have a problem getting to me. He also said he could send me an PGL-III-C blanck host all for the price of a 50mw Spartan not sure if I want the host though!

What is the power of the module badboybilly? If it's above 30mW's then I'd say get that along with the blank PGL-III-C host. Technically I am a little biased as I much prefer the PGL-III-C hosts then what the Spartan comes in, the PGL-III-M hosts I believe. Spend that extra $250 on food or something :D

-Alex

I have a few empty hosts if you're after them, just let me know the size you want. :) although they're not the greatest anyway TBH. a custom one would be better. I think I still have a 589 PGL-C/PGL-H module laying around somewhere....

Last edited:
What is the power of the module badboybilly? If it's above 30mW's then I'd say get that along with the blank PGL-III-C host. Technically I am a little biased as I much prefer the PGL-III-C hosts then what the Spartan comes in, the PGL-III-M hosts I believe. Spend that extra $250 on food or something :D

-Alex

EForce is expensive so I asked for a quote on the 30mw module $875 lead time 2weeks, And DL 50mw module is $650 with a blank PGL 111 C host lead time 3weeks, these are Australian dollars!

So Hap pretty much because of you with your 1mw 594 pointer I went from about to spend $250 to $500 and know to $650 lol but I'm happy about it this module is going to go in a very special custom host, awesome !

Thanks for everyone,s lack of assistance! Just kidding!!! Thanks!!

I have a few empty hosts if you're after them, just let me know the size you want. :) although they're not the greatest anyway TBH. a custom one would be better. I think I still have a 589 PGL-C/PGL-H module laying around somewhere....

Is it new or rebuilt, what's the power, couldn't you have mentioned this before buddy, find it hook it up and let see I could have saved a few dollars.

I'm not sure I want to sell the module. I do have empty hosts though if you do want them. it was just a passing thought. it does work, around 50mW or so last I ran it. just not sure where I've put it. I think I built it back into a PGL-C host for the time being. I'd have to look. and if I sold it it'd prolly be a similar price point, especially since these are very hard to find now. people with the larger 26mm modules don't give them up lightly since we can't really get them anymore.

Yea I know that's why I said a few dollars!

The PGL-H-589 is the 26mm module also in the Spartan,

A choice of 3v or 5v driver, if you find it how about a couple pics, I just love these I realise I would only see a brass module but still just so I know what I'm expecting!

I like these PGL-III-C-589 also but unless Adam is going to ship it separately to the module I don't want any hint of the package being a laser,

However if you have one willing to sell for a decent price for another build project send me a pic of the host please!

Last edited:
Yea I know that's why I said a few dollars!

The PGL-H-589 is the 26mm module also in the Spartan,

A choice of 3v or 5v driver, if you find it how about a couple pics, I just love these I realise I would only see a brass module but still just so I know what I'm expecting!

I like these PGL-III-C-589 also but unless Adam is going to ship it separately to the module I don't want any hint of the package being a laser,

However if you have one willing to sell for a decent price for another build project send me a pic of the host please!

nah, the spartan (PGL-M) is a different module. it's thinner and longer somewhat. like my PGL-A module was, but with a shorter simpler driver. Though CNI may refer to both as a PGL-H. I have one that needs some work and a new driver. crystals are good though, so I'll prolly make a project out of it someday via manual pumping. most of these run about 1.8A ish, but not all of them are set quite the same, which is strongly inherent of their somewhat loose design. good for entertainment, but scientifically speaking, they're a mess.

I really would like to rebuild my PGL-A and revive it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I really liked it alot :(