Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50W LPM laser

A false reading seems to be the concern mentioned with lasers being to close, but ins't damage to the diode from reflection also a major concern, or are the sensors that good at absorbing?

rooster9119

Hi everyone

Today i find a new lpm (with me) any who use it, please tell your quality

They are listed as 50w (range from 10mw-50w)
You can't buy a 50 watt laser. That would burn a finger off. If you can find a true 5 watt laser your lucky. Those are very dangerous and will do a lot of damage.

rooster9119

I just bought a LaserBee AX and measured my lasers. (I'm new to this). Got 1.3 watts out of a Gatlin Laser sold as 5000mW. Got 60mW out of 2 lasers sold as 1 watt. Where can you buy a 50 watt laser. I mean as a pointer, not an etcher.

People here have made 50+ watt laser in a portable unit. Just 25 M140 diodes driven at 1.8 amps will get you there. Some are individual beams that converge at a spot or are combined through a lens to converge at some point. The point is, that this has been done before. You could also do it with 7 NUBM44 diodes driven at 5 amps.

You can absolutely get more than 5W from a chinese handheld - Look at things like the Sanwu Striker - That's using a 7W diode.

If you want advice it's generally a good idea to be civil and listen rather than to double post, not post an intro thread and claim to know more than established forum members. JL and Sanwu might be chinese companies but have basically flawless reputations here - they make quality stuff. I'd be willing to bet that if Sanwu claims that a laser they sell is outputting 5W, it'll read 5W on LPMs in forum member's collections all over the world.

Where can you buy a 50 watt laser. I mean as a pointer, not an etcher.
You can't buy that as a complete unit, as it would be cost-prohibitive (high 3, if not 4 figures). You could build it as has been done before by a few people here.

rooster9119

You can absolutely get more than 5W from a chinese handheld - Look at things like the Sanwu Striker - That's using a 7W diode.

If you want advice it's generally a good idea to be civil and listen rather than to double post, not post an intro thread and claim to know more than established forum members. JL and Sanwu might be chinese companies but have basically flawless reputations here - they make quality stuff. I'd be willing to bet that if Sanwu claims that a laser they sell is outputting 5W, it'll read 5W on LPMs in forum member's collections all over the world.

You can't buy that as a complete unit, as it would be cost-prohibitive (high 3, if not 4 figures). You could build it as has been done before by a few people here.
I'm not trying to insult anyone. I am just going by my own experience. Everyonetobuy are straight up liars. Their 5 watt turned out to be 60mW. I'm looking at the Sanwu site and their laser looks like several others on the market. Maybe they are one of the honest ones that puts the correct diode inside of it. No way to tell. My 1.3 watt will lite a match so watching them do that is no indication of power except that it is over 1 watt. There is warranty on Sanwu but they've already added shipping to your initial charge and you have to pay return shipping if the laser is off or bad and they don't add batteries or a charger. You have to buy them separately. Can run up to $400 + for what is basically a toy with no real purpose other than a wow factor and take forever to get your money back.

Maybe they are one of the honest ones that puts the correct diode inside of it. No way to tell.
The best way is to base it off the vast amount of positive experience that people have with them. Reputations are golden around here and Sanwu and JetLasers have each got great rep.

Sanwu practically make each of theirs to order, and their machining/build quality is excellent. You get what you pay for - a 5W laser is not possible to make for cheap. High-power diodes cost a lot, and need expensive drivers and sufficient heatsinking, which all costs money.

Gatling lasers are mass-produced cheap lasers, and most sellers over-rate on their listings. Laser 303s are also mass-produced cheap lasers which most sellers over-rate on their listings. You are correct that many Chinese sellers do indeed over-rate their lasers - but you can't tar every seller of lasers with the same brush!

Not to mention we've derailed this thread about LPMs now talking about sellers - There's already a useful and up-to-date thread on good and bad sellers.

rooster9119

The best way is to base it off the vast amount of positive experience that people have with them. Reputations are golden around here and Sanwu and JetLasers have each got great rep.

Sanwu practically make each of theirs to order, and their machining/build quality is excellent. You get what you pay for - a 5W laser is not possible to make for cheap. High-power diodes cost a lot, and need expensive drivers and sufficient heatsinking, which all costs money.

Gatling lasers are mass-produced cheap lasers, and most sellers over-rate on their listings. Laser 303s are also mass-produced cheap lasers which most sellers over-rate on their listings. You are correct that many Chinese sellers do indeed over-rate their lasers - but you can't tar every seller of lasers with the same brush!

Not to mention we've derailed this thread about LPMs now talking about sellers - There's already a useful and up-to-date thread on good and bad sellers.
Thanks for your help.

I guess I was like rooster, thinking I knew it all, and could give my own opinion on things while in reality you guys literally taught me everything lol, so just listen to them rooster they know more than you will learn in a while :)

Ken Hudd

I got a Kardell Gatling 3w for $140 from a reputable seller advertised on this forum. It is no stronger than my 800mw $40 laser.

I got a Kardell Gatling 3w for $140 from a reputable seller advertised on this forum. It is no stronger than my 800mw $40 laser.
How are you telling this, do you have a laser power meter?

It's practically impossible to tell the strength of a laser visually, even side by side there's way more to it (beam diameter, air quality, wavelength etc). If you're burning things to test the power - there's also far too many things that will change your perception of the optical power.

How are you telling this, do you have a laser power meter?

It's practically impossible to tell the strength of a laser visually, even side by side there's way more to it (beam diameter, air quality, wavelength etc). If you're burning things to test the power - there's also far too many things that will change your perception of the optical power.
everything is quite vague,but if all he talk is right, it is bad,in fact, I can estimate power based on color and combustion, about 20-50% error.