Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw - Ledshoppe or o-like?

50mW may be a little too bright. The brightest output that doesn't hurt your eyes for me is 30mW. I suggest getting a DX 5mW then get a 30mW module from ebay and replace the module inside the DX 5mW with the one from ebay. If you live outside the U.S just get the DX 30mW.

30mW Laser:
DealExtreme: $14.40 True Green Laser Pen 30mW

5mW Laser:
DealExtreme: $10.10 True Green Laser Pen 5mW

Module:
http://cgi.ebay.com/30mW-532nm-Lase...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca9867775

Other than that you can get the 50mW from o-like but you do have customs to worry about. The DX 5mW and the module are legal to port, and it's less expensive than o-like.

Last edited:
I would tell you to go with o-like. slightly better quality and customer service vs. ledshoppe. Also get one rated at a higher power because it will be somewhat underspec, so if you want 50mW then buy a 75-100mW rated one and it should be at least 50mW...

Okay so if i go for the o-like one would it be underspec? I thought that o-like had a reputation of being up to or overspec?

Generally O-like and rayfoss have been know to keep their Mw specs about what they say. Evey once in a while it a tid under but they say in the details +-10 to 15 mW could be over could be under but gernerally its about what they say it is. This far I know from what I've read and been told.

Okay so if i go for the o-like one would it be underspec? I thought that o-like had a reputation of being up to or overspec?

It has a rep of being near-spec. Sometimes you get lucky and get one that is at spec or above, but is rare for the most part. O-like is considered a good place to get cheap first time lasers from, but even if it is up to spec, the quality will never match a CNI. But if you want a certain power output, as I said, just buy one that is rated higher than what you actually want and if its underspec you should still have the output you were originally after...

Okay so now im thinking i may get an Opto 50 mw for $99 it's the cheapest of the "good" companies. Would this pen last longer than the o-like cause of the better build quality you think?

Okay so now im thinking i may get an Opto 50 mw for $99 it's the cheapest of the "good" companies. Would this pen last longer than the o-like cause of the better build quality you think?

Opto doesnt build their own pens, and the quality isnt too good on the pens, they are just cheapo 'new wish' pointers like the ones DX sells, opto just gets a bunch of them and meters them to make sure they are the output they say they are. So the quality isnt much better but it will be up to spec...

Now and RPL is a different story!

So im pretty sure the o-like is the one im going to get. Just a question about the battery- is the one included a rechargeable? And if not where can i buy cr123a's and for how much? I'm located in the US btw.

Okay i'll check that out also can i put regular 3 volts in the laaser or do they have to be 3,6 volts?

Specs say you need 3.6v to run it, and it is a rechargeable, primaries are only 3v. The laser doesnt seem to include a charger so you will need to buy one as well...

I ordered this laser last Friday and still haven't heard from o-like. On the site my order is still listed as processing. Does it usually take this long to have the orders shipped out from o-like?