Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw laser wont pop baloons

as title says i got a 50mw laser and it wont pop balloons the battery's are good and just came off the charger (energiser) i can see the beam indoors in very decent light but not like daytime lightness (basically its bright (the beam))

i found some old balloons in a draw that are basically knackered i cant blow them up all the way about half way and put a big black mark (long and wide) on it with black ballpoint held it there for like 4 mins and still didn't pop (but the pen mark looks different in that spot)

and ive seen my laser (or one like it) pop balloons on youtube

YouTube - 50 mW True Green Laser Pointer Pops Balloon Easily

so whats wrong

thanks

AMN

Well, chances are your laser is not actually outputting 50mw of 532nm light, and therefore can not pop the balloon.
This is probably because you bought it from a cheap website.

Last edited:
Those types of pens dont come focused so it makes it hard to pop a balloon.

50mW should pop a balloon no problem. But Like AMN said it most likely is not 50mW.

More of ~25mW if that. I know Ive seen a video of a 30mW laser popping a balloon so your must be under that.

Try using a Magnify Glass to focus the beam into a point. Make sure you have your goggles on so you dont get a back reflection from the magnifying glass.

I also want to mention that Just because the guys laser in that video pops a balloon does not mean that yours will. NewWish pen Green laser very in power. You will rarely see all putting out ~ the same power. Thier QC stinks.

You have a link where you bought it from.???

Last edited:
yh was gunna put that as another question as that was one of my hunches but forgot

thanks anyway

so as someone agrees with me how can i get up to 50mw sticker says max output s that

maybe potmod a tiney bit at a time until can pop balloons in a few secs

i know this is bad but as were sure its not putting out 50mw is it safe

thanks

I would not attempt a Pot mod unless you want to kill your laser and then you wont have anything to play with.:)

Just buy a New more powerful laser.

What is your budget. So i can recommend you something that will for sure pop a balloon.:)

laz

got it on a Turkish holiday so didn't get it online so no idea

but i payed the equivalent of £17.42 for it

give me the price of the cheapest balloon popper i can get and i will see

just to say i have glasses from a big professional laser level kit thing my grandad has so no need to say anything about them

my budget i don't know im the sort that if i have a price in front of me i will think price good or price bad depending

thanks

Oh. Well that was a Rip off.

Well that explains it. There is many different outputs that are sold in those pen lasers. That pen you have and you seen in the video is a very common host.

Search on youtube Newish Green Laser Pointer. You will quickly see that there will be 5mW,10mW,50mW,100mW,200mW etc.

Ill almost certain that you have a 5mW Green laser pointer.

Ok I let me give you some links BRB.

THose Glasses from the Laser Leveling Kit will not be for Green laser. THey will be for red laser as i have only seen red laser on leveling Kits.

Plus the will be rated for a max of 5mW and will not block you because they are for red laser and because they dont block IR.

This one is Focusable and will be able to pop a balloon:
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=34

If you order it Make sure to request in the notation for them to add an IR filter. For safety.

Here is a pair of goggles that will protect you from the Green Light:
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=28
^ These will only protect you from the Green Light and Not the IR . Thats what the IR filter is for.

This laser and Goggles is your best beat for starters. It will be much brighter then you have now and will pop a balloon and possible light a match since its focusable.

Last edited:
Look at the Link Above in post 8.:)

Well then it is for sure more then my guess was.

But because the laser is set to infinity all the light is not at Pin point. So using the Magnify glass it focus all the light to a pin point witch then makes it much easier to pop a balloon.

Last edited:
is that the cheapest including the price of the charger as i dont have any of those chargers at home so will need one

also what about that thing ive seen that you put your own laser diode in etc also has focusing

thanks and sorry for all the questions

I just thort.

My laser has a filter with it to make pretty patterns on the ceiling.

So is there a filter thing to put in there to focus it.

Thanks

P.S

Searching on google turns up no results.

Also the filter screws into the top if you didn't know. :)

thanks