Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

<505nm Laser driver

Hi everyone,

Currently Electric Plasma and I are planning a build with a SB1573N91 diode that I bought from Dr. Laser, it's case positive.

We're having problems finding a driver that can be (he said it literally) "Wire driver input to be case negative or case positive"
Any suggestions, anyone?

(If someone hasn't understood me, my English is not as good as I want it to be, maybe he can detail it better )

@ElectricPlasma

Thanks in advance!

diachi

Hi everyone,

Currently Electric Plasma and I are planning a build with a SB1573N91 diode that I bought from Dr. Laser, it's case positive.

We're having problems finding a driver that can be (he said it literally) "Wire driver input to be case negative or case positive"
Any suggestions, anyone?

(If someone hasn't understood me, my English is not as good as I want it to be, maybe he can detail it better )

@ElectricPlasma

Thanks in advance!

Will wait for EP... Driver choice shouldn't matter when it comes to case positive/case negative.

Case positive diodes seem really tricky to build with. I design my hosts to carry a case signal throughout the entire host body, which often works great with case-neutral diodes. Assuming I used a positively regulated driver for the case positive diode:

-Wiring case negative would short across the driver
-Wiring case positive would short the diode (right?)

This is pretty confusing to me. It would seem that I'd need a negatively regulated driver but I don't know of any.

Case positive diodes seem really tricky to build with. I design my hosts to carry a case signal throughout the entire host body, which often works great with case-neutral diodes. Assuming I used a positively regulated driver for the case positive diode:

-Wiring case negative would short across the driver
-Wiring case positive would short the diode (right?)

This is pretty confusing to me. It would seem that I'd need a negatively regulated driver but I don't know of any.

The driver that BowtieGuy linked wouldn't work?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

EP, that is what the Blitz Linear driver is, go to that link in my previous post and look at the spec sheet, it talks about using it with case positive diodes. :yh:

Edit: Here is a part of the spec sheet discussing connections.

Connections:
Using the image to the right as a reference, we
can establish the locations of the inputs and
outputs. Starting from the bottom left and
going clockwise, we have V+, V-, D-, and D+
(where V+/- is the input and D+/- is the
output).
Unlike other drivers, this driver is continuous
positive, which means that there is no
regulation on the positive side of the driver.
Thus, if you want to use this driver on a diode
that is case negative, you must either isolate the diode itself or the host from the diode so that
regulation can still occur – this drivers functions best when your laser is case positive. However
this does mean that if you have a case positive diode, then you only have to connect one of the
V+ or D+ to the driver and can leave the other pad empty.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I just edited my last post to show that part of the spec sheet.

jnrpop

Hi A,
I do believe this driver could be suitable for the Case + diodes, and abit cheaper than the Blitz from Survival. In the description it says its constant positive.

Adjustable current laser diode driver 80-500mA w/TTL | eBay

Survival would be the safer option though, and if EP is building it then being in the US it might be faster, but AixiZ have been around for awhile now :D
Anyway i'm sure with abit of digging someone over the years would have used this driver and can confirm if its setup to be constant current, or if its like the other cheap Chinese drivers we have been stumbling over which are setup CV.

Thought i'd let you and EP know :beer:

Last edited:
Hi A,
I do believe this driver could be suitable for the Case + diodes, and abit cheaper than the Blitz from Survival. In the description it says its constant positive.

Survival would be the safer option though, and if EP is building it then being in the US it might be faster, but AixiZ have been around for awhile now :D
Anyway i'm sure with abit of digging someone over the years would have used this driver and can confirm if its setup to be constant current, or if its like the other cheap Chinese drivers we have been stumbling over which are setup CV.

Many thanks!

We'll check it, still have some details to arrange :p

A.

Eracoy

I recently built my SB1573N91, and I used the Survival Laser Blitz Linear driver. It's giving me about 90mW at 250mA, and that is at a Vf a bit over 6V. It works great, but I will warn you, it can be tricky to solder because of the size. For example, you will need to bridge the LO mode pads:

dsgQ4Fv.png

Because the back is flat, it is probably a good idea to heat sink it. To insulate the driver and hold the heat sink (a small cube of copper) on, I heat shrink wrapped them together with a tiny bit of thermal goop. You can choose how to wire the driver/diode to be constant positive, but I chose to go case positive. I used one of Survival Laser's stainless steel C6 hosts and a copper heat sink to make good electrical contact, because I ran the positive to the diode through the host/heatsink/module. I wired the driver to the positive and negative of the pill's contact board, and ran the single regulated negative (D- on the driver) to the diode. Overall, it isn't terribly hard, you just need to plan out your driver and host electrical path.

Here are some configurations other than what I did that someone else here recommended a while ago:
2mebors.png

They picture a different driver and none run positive through the heat sink, but they are for a case-positive diode setup.

Last edited:
Hi A,

That driver will not work with this diode. It is for case positive diodes, but is limited to low Vf like 808nm diodes found in 532nm lasers. I have checked out the driver BowtieGuy linked to and it is the best option for this diode. It has a high Vf at 250 mA to 300 mA. It will take tow Li-ion cells, but it will work where the cheap 808nm driver won't.

Because the current used with this diode, driver heat sinking is not necessary. You are going to drive it around 250 mA. It shouldn't get hot very quickly at all.

Also, using a continuous negative driver with this diode would short out you battery(ies), not the diode or driver.

Last edited: