Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
That's a nice beam shot of the two you have, Atomicrox. That 480nm is a Sharp diode that turned out to be between 473nm and 478nm? I was wondering as I am not aware of a 480nm diode that you might have used in its place. + Rep.

The hosts are ghetto style made from cheap parts:
attachment.php

The nice feature is my LT3083 power adjustable driver.

Yeah, it's one of the diodes you tested at 477nm :)

Attachments

• hosts.jpg
    hosts.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 169
Hey, whatever works is all that matters. I thought that diode might have been one I tested. That was a good wavelength as most were below 477nm. In fact, that was the highest wavelength I got out of all that I tested. I ran mine at 275 mA so it puts out over 100 mW with an acrylic lens. Thanks for sharing them.

I definitely got lucky :)
Also got that diode you measured at 492nm, the lowest of the 495nm batch. Just waiting for some parts to arrive in the mail, I'll make another one of those hosts for it.

You did get lucky, indeed. Not many were able to get those wavelengths. As long as you keep the current down around 250 mA and heat sink it well, that wavelength shouldn't drift up too much. It would be better if you could TEC control the temperature at 18* C. That was the temperature I measured it at.

I had my USB2000 out today to measure the last five diodes from 25 sent to me by ZRaffleticket and decided while it was out I might as well check my ECD build for wavelength at 275 mA. I let it run for 30 seconds before taking a measure. It was just under 488nm still. Of course it is sitting in a copper module inside a copper heat sink so it has a fair mass of copper to wick the heat away. :wave:

Just confirmed my 480nm is multiline at a very specific current setting. At low current it emits a single, lower wavelength line. As current goes up the line stretches up, then it splits into two lines, and if I keep going up the lower line ceases to lase and only the higher line remains.
attachment.php

Edit: the picture is overexposed, the dots are actually completely separated.

Attachments

• multiline.jpg
    multiline.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
This was a binned diode, it went from 471nm@threshold to 477.5nm@230mA. Unfortunately I don't have a proper spectrometer but I'd guess the lines are only 2-4nm apart.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Interesting. Thanks.
Well at low current the low line could fluctuate to 472-473 with the increasing current, so your estimation could be pretty accurate.

yustas

Hi,

Where can I take the binned LD for research?
Please send me the link to the supplier.

Thanks.

Unfortunately these diodes were a very limited run (engineering sample?). There's no way to get these anymore, unless you get lucky and find a forum member who bought one that they are willing to let go (which is very rare).

If you're researching multiline diodes, I have a PLT5-488 that does this too.... I also previously owned a nichia 473nm sample diode that did two lines as well. Maybe one of those will work?

yustas

Thanks for the information.
Please read PM where I will try to explain what we need.

Just confirmed my 480nm is multiline at a very specific current setting. At low current it emits a single, lower wavelength line. As current goes up the line stretches up, then it splits into two lines, and if I keep going up the lower line ceases to lase and only the higher line remains.
attachment.php

Edit: the picture is overexposed, the dots are actually completely separated.

This was the Sharp diode that came out first? I have yet to see this happen with one of these diodes. Wish I had as I would like to know which two wavelengths it is lasing at.

Looks like you let two multiline diodes slip by now Paul!

(PLT5-488)

My 480nm diode is more like a line though.