Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mW C-mount?

If I'm not mistaken I think "wannaburn" had built a C-Mount
Laser....
Maybe the Host Sellers could give you more detailed info...
The optics for that LD are not as simple as a single element
lens..

The specs on that LD don't include specs about a FAC lens...
so it will be even more difficult to collimate the beam....

Jerry

Last edited:

anselm

Hard enough if all you want is a red flashlight. Even harder if you want a nicely collimated
laser beam. Look at Hemlock_mike's thread, he has a similar diode and the build's been paused
for weeks apparently due to the lack of optics.
Watch 532withEnvy's adventure with the 635nm c-mount diode, see how that works out.
This kind of stuff is avantgarde, cutting-edge stuff, at least for this forum and almost
all of its members.

Beam divergency(deg):42x10
is a really bad divergence.

Last edited:

Johnyz

Even without lens, that one is bad. Regular single mode diode has something around 20x5 without lens.

rhd

Bottom line - optics are what will make this a challenge. That C-Mount doesn't have a FAC lens. The C-Mount I sold DID have a FAC lens, so even with just the stock lens from a dead 532nm that used an IR C-Mount, I was able to collimate a beam pretty well (for the 15 seconds I tried). I think the spot was ~2 inches at 20 feet. That's pretty darn close to what was needed. However, without a FAC lens, you would be in for a world of pain :(

rhd

BTW - for about that price, you can get a ~200mw 635nm HL63133DG, that will appear 50% brighter than a 500mW 650nm ;)

joeyss

What about using a beam expander after making it collimated a bit? Shouldn't the beam expander make it go a bit farther?