Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4th of July Pyrotechics

Exerd

Anybody make their own fireworks/pyrotechnics?

In a few days I am going to mix up some 2" cylindrical canister shots to shoot from the mortar. I'll probably just use a nice flash composition to give you something to feel. I might launch a few way up there which are stabilized like a rocket. I don't have enough time anymore it seems to make them very exotic with all of the fancy stuff. I might roll up some ammonium perchlorate balls with some copper oxide catalyst for a nice blue-violet star burst. That is what I use for a rocket propellant as well, and it COOKS for a propellant.

I would be curious to know what Flaminpyro does for this time time of year... :eg:

I made 50x 20g salutes followed by a 315g abomination :evil: Shall be one big bang :eek:

Exerd

I just recently saw videos of liquid mortar shells. Said it was a gallon of liquid flammable with flash in the middle. I can't remember what they called them.

Exerd

Ah, I found it. It's called a "lampare".

It is the final shell in the video. Says it was 2lbs of flash in an 8" cylinder shell with 1 gallon of gas and oil around it.

YouTube - 8" Lampare

LA5ER

Buddies of mine is gonna throw couple M67's in washers XD yes he allowed to have them

Dannel Tanner is a good friend of mine, I'll have to go see him soon and pick up some TARRERITE :eg:

@ Meatball I'm doing a show just north of San Diego in POWAY. I'll get lots of pictures of a big show up close so everone can do a bit of drooling :drool: Dose the first picture in my sig remind you of a big shell going off in the sky above :D

1kg tannerite packs + Remington .300 ultramag = big bang! :)

Last edited:

Exerd

Tannerite is expensive! You can make it yourself. Actually, what you can make yourself quite simply will have twice the detonation pressure and detonation speed of tannerite.

Get some ammonium nitrate garden fertilizer prills.

Get an electric coffee grinder for $15.

Put the prills in the grinder by themselves with nothing added to them and grind them to powder.

Remove the AN powder you have made from the grinder and weigh it.

Now mix it in a ratio of 90:10 AN:aluminum fine mesh powder.

It will detonate with far more energy than tannerite and is essentially a thermobaric explosive. The aluminum in the mixture will not all be consumed by the reaction, some of it is rapidly consumed after the initial detonation by the oxygen in the air. This prolongs the length of the pressure pulse by a millisecond or so, and causes more wave displacement. What that means is there is a more thunderous BOOM that is felt.

It has to be shot by a high powered rifle. Even a low power rifle will not produce the shock energy required to detonate. It needs to be hit by a round traveling closer to 3000FPS.

315g of flash powder is pretty crazy I tell ya :eek:
Shall upload the video in the morning.
Got it from 2 angles. 1 close up and 1 from a distance.
Also, Flamingpyro, I kept my word! I blew up a watermelon for ya! (also on video) :beer:

I was too lazy to make my own fireworks this year :crackup:

Last edited:

Exerd

I dug these photos up from a few years back.

I was here to witness this blasting. The trees needed to come down because a shooting range berm was being built and the trees were right in the middle of it. A chainsaw would have worked, but this proved to be more fun.

It was a bag containing 8lbs of AN + aluminum. A primer cap was set under the bag to detonate it.

You know what that 315g was like HumanSymphony? Imagine upscaling it 20 times. :D

Notice how all of the leaves were stripped off the trees; there was huge concussion.

trees1.jpg

trees2u.jpg

trees3.jpg