Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

492 nm 150 mW Beauty from SanWu

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful wavelength, that will be a great addition to your collection!
Thanks for sharing. :yh:

Reactions: fme
Thanks for sharing!! I’ve got a build with an M462..The Blue Job. Beautiful blue and powerful.
Awesome WL.
+Rep
SGD:beer:

Beautiful wavelength, that will be a great addition to your collection!
Thanks for sharing. :yh:

Thanks BowTieGuy! I do love that color. Blue Green. And the Challenger 2 is a great host. I like the brief ramp up to full brightness-got to be easier on the diode.
Nice, those Challenger 2’s have such a solid feel in the hand. Enjoy!

BobMc- They DO!
Great color, enjoy. :beer:

RedCowboy- Thanks!

Thanks for sharing!! I’ve got a build with an M462..The Blue Job. Beautiful blue and powerful.
Awesome WL.
+Rep
SGD:beer:

Oooh! I am looking to add a 462-470nm. Am I right to think the same diode will increase in wavelength as power rises (within limits of course!). I like the 470 nm for visibility-but do not want 4-5 Watts. I'd say 300-1000 mW would do, :)

That looks great, Eric. It is difficult to tell from a photo, but the color of this looks far too blue to be 492nm. That color is more cyan than blue. Yours looks like it could be close to 488nm. I'm also glad you got some good batteries. They are worth the extra money they cost. Great review.

Thanls Paul-yes it does look more 488 ish. That's too bad as I really wanted the 492 color. Edit: having a 488 is not a disaster-as it's on my list-but 492 was my first choice=after 520 nm,
I suppose I could TRY to get a 492 in the smaller version-but don't want to risk getting a second 488.
This is close to what I see. EDIT: comparing the unfocused beam on the wall behind the computer screen-the real beam spot seems a little more green than the picture. I think I need a direct comparison! :) Perhaps the 488 nm Sanwu pen? :)

That looks great, Eric. It is difficult to tell from a photo, but the color of this looks far too blue to be 492nm. That color is more cyan than blue. Yours looks like it could be close to 488nm. I'm also glad you got some good batteries. They are worth the extra money they cost. Great review.

Attachments

• IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have found the colors between 486nm and 505nm are very active visually from testing so many of these diodes for wavelength. Just 4 nm in any direction can give you a totally different color. It is impossible to say for sure where your wavelength is without measuring it with a good, calibrated spectrometer. I kept spare diodes in my stock for each of these different wavelengths because I neglected to do so when I got my 477nm laser diode. It is also a light blue color, but not nearly as light as 486nm. Enjoy these rare wavelengths. For years they were so expensive you would have to pay $2000 for just one of them.

No fog machine-but here's a few outside shots. I do like this beam. G7 lens.
It was marked 492 on the mylar wrapper by SanWu.

For color reference: here's what it looks like in daylight- I took the lens off and shined the laser on the paper-I white balanced the pic on the white paper with the laser off so it's close to what I see.

Attachments

• _K4A0437.jpg
    _K4A0437.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7106_492ground2.jpg
    IMG_7106_492ground2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7112_492tree2.jpg
    IMG_7112_492tree2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34
Still looks more blue than cyan in your photos, Eric. Maybe a touch of cyan. Photos are the worst way to judge wavelengths. If you ever decide you would like to know what the wavelength is, send me a PM. I will be happy to measure it for you free of charge. But, it will cost you shipping both ways.

Thanks! I might do that! Do you have a Protected (690-700 mm) long "18650?"

As I understand it-from your notes- they are likely using Sharp 488's that output 492 so it's possible there was a mixup. I can see what looks like SB308B292. I found a thread-they are sold as Sharp 490 nm 55 mW. And you measured several- Wondering how they get 150 mW without burnout? Big heatsink? Mine takes a second or so to come on fully. Big Heat sink? The host is Copper-Nickel Alloy.

Re: Sharp 495nm GH04850B2G 55mW Laser Diode (Paul)
" I have 20 of these diodes in hand and plan on testing them shortly. Like all the Sharp diodes I've seen so far these don't have the part number on them. These have the iteration number SB308B292. I will know in the next two hours where these are in wavelength. I have to finish other personal things before I can start testing. I guess I could post here or start a new thread as I have two more shipments coming.

Still looks more blue than cyan in your photos, Eric. Maybe a touch of cyan. Photos are the worst way to judge wavelengths. If you ever decide you would like to know what the wavelength is, send me a PM. I will be happy to measure it for you free of charge. But, it will cost you shipping both ways.

Attachments

• IMG_7136module.jpg
    IMG_7136module.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7137crop.jpg
    IMG_7137crop.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks! I might do that! Do you have a Protected (690-700 mm) long "18650?"

As I understand it-from your notes- they are likely using Sharp 488's that output 492 so it's possible there was a mixup. I can see what looks like SB308B292. I found a thread-they are sold as Sharp 490 nm 55 mW. And you measured several- Wondering how they get 150 mW without burnout? Big heatsink? Mine takes a second or so to come on fully. Big Heat sink? The host is Copper-Nickel Alloy.

Re: Sharp 495nm GH04850B2G 55mW Laser Diode (Paul)
" I have 20 of these diodes in hand and plan on testing them shortly. Like all the Sharp diodes I've seen so far these don't have the part number on them. These have the iteration number SB308B292. I will know in the next two hours where these are in wavelength. I have to finish other personal things before I can start testing. I guess I could post here or start a new thread as I have two more shipments coming.

I have many 18650 batteries. I will have to pull several out and measure their dimensions. The 55 mW rating is what Sharp has rated them to do. But, like all diodes we have seen, these are not even close to the maximum they can be driven at. All of mine are set for 275 mA, giving over 115 mW on each one using the acrylic lens that comes with every module you buy. I believe my lowest powered one is 120 mW and my highest is 135 mW. You will need a modest heat sink to keep the diode from heating up enough to shift wavelengths, but not nearly a large one. The reason for not using a short focal length aspheric lens that would give you more power out is the rectangular artifact that they put out with these diodes. You can also use one of DTR's 2 element 520nm AR coated lenses as they also work well with these diodes, but those are the only two lenses I've found that don't give a big box off to the side of the dot. I have used a plain 501B host with the heat sinks they come with to build these lasers and they work just fine. PM me if you want to send it to me for measurement. If you do, I will check to see that I have a battery that will fit.

Last edited:
Nice laser Pelagus. Beam shot pics are good. :D
The 488-494 range diodes are such a pretty "argon ion" color.

I have to agree. All these colors are amazing to see in person. Looking at photos on a monitor doesn't do them justice.