Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

491nm "Sunwayman" EDC Penlight Build

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
My Sunwayman 491nm Pen Build

RarpsEV.jpg

Hey guys, here's another little pen size build that I've been working on forever; it's built around the always beautiful Sharp 488nm GH04850B2G (SB308B292) diode.
I was looking to find a wavelength to fit between my 488 and 493nm builds, so, on this project I set the output on the driver (X-WOSSEE) to only 175mA or so.
Finally after finishing it and having it sit around all summer, I found time to send it off to Paul (paul598419) who kindly spectro'd it for me.
Happily, it turned out to measure in at 491nm, just about perfect for me; Thank You Paul! :)

I wanted to keep this pen looking as close to original as possible, but still provide "some" extra heatsinking ability, so I turned a minimal aluminum heatsink that fit snuggly on the pen host and also on the 12mm copper module.
I also added some grooves and angles to match the style of the Sunwayman pen, and finished up with a matching matte black paint finish.

All in all, the Sunwayman provided a great basis for this project, it has nice quality threads, a handsome metal tailcap switch, and a nice accenting chrome pocket clip.

Components Used For This Build:
  • Sunwayman P02A Pocket EDC Penlight.
  • Sharp 488nm GH04850B2G Diode. (DTR)
  • 12mm Copper Module w/Aluminum back. (DTR)
  • "LDSE500" Driver, set at 175mA. (X-WOSSEE)
  • Custom Aluminum Heatsink
  • 2 x 10440 Li-Ion batteries, 350mAh. (Efest)

Dimensions & Weight:
  • Length = 154mm (6.06").
  • Diameter = 13.9mm (.547) Body/ 17mm (.667") Heatsink.
  • 41g (1.44oz) w/o Batteries.
  • 59g (2.08oz) w/2 x 10440 cells.

Measured Power Output:
  • G-8 lens = 95mW average, 104mW peak.
  • G-2 lens = 111mW average, 121mW peak.

I know that this is a lot of crap for a simple pen build, but it gives me something to do, and keeps me out of trouble. :)

Anyway ....here are probably too many pics, but I like pics, Enjoy! (y)

utptDeZ.jpg

cLqIp9Z.jpg

Modified aluminum back half of module, machined to fit the modded aluminum "pill" that came with the pen.

onscHJV.jpg

Pill attached to module with "Arctic Thermal Adhesive".

SotMPiT.jpg

Heatsink shown along side of pen in approximate finished position.

JXGgd9b.jpg

K9sQwYP.jpg

X-WOSSEE (LDSE500) driver attached to diode.

yPnf0xi.jpg

It lives!

A Few Beams!!!

k6sjSHO.jpg

WVUKQyK.jpg

WecolD5.jpg

hrvI9pY.jpg

HnLv40j.jpg

Finito! :)

Thanks for reading and watching - till next time! :D

PS - Additilnal thanks to Paul (paul598419) and Jordan (DTR). (y)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey guys, this is a -repost- of my original build thread from last week, due to some forum problems, the original was deleted.

Last edited:
Man, that was a shame, Jeff. I can see all the work you put into posting this thread. Great little build and it was a delight to work with it. Thank you. (y)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, Paul, it took a while, but I got it put up again; the worst part is everyone's great comments and suggestions have disappeared, but they will be remembered. :)

Last edited:

Encap

As mentioned before the time warp--- Excellent presentation, nice pen laser, clean build, unusual and beautiful wavelength.

Great photos as always. (y)

Last edited:
I love, and have many of those Small Rig clamps for holding laser pointers of various sizes on tripods. Where did you get that particular tripod from? I have several. My favorite is my Ultra Pod. I think the one you have pictured could be a great addition to my collection.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I love, and have many of those Small Rig clamps for holding laser pointers of various sizes on tripods. Where did you get that particular tripod from? I have several. My favorite is my Ultra Pod. I think the one you have pictured could be a great addition to my collection.

Hey Paul, I also own Ultra Pod tripods and love them, I've got both the small & large sizes; you can't beat their versitility.

Sometimes when even the small Ultra Pod is too large, I use the one pictured above, it doesn't overpower the little pen sized hosts, if I recall, I picked it up at either a "Best Buy" or "Meijers".
They are pretty inexpensive and have extendable legs.

I think it is this model here -
https://www.ebay.com/p/101635519

@curtis - Thank you! :)

@Hap - Appreciate it, glad you like it! (y)

Thanks, Jeff. I have it on my watch list now. I noticed they have an "opened package" option that saves better than $3.00. It is cheaper than their "used" option too.